The Lure Forums banner

Reccomend me a rod!

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  james crowley 
#1 ·
Hi!

Basically, I'm quite new to fishing (been at it a few months), and I could do with getting myself a rod. Until now I've been borrowing a 9' Penn spinning rod off one of my mates, but I think he wants it back! *******! :-D

I've had a look around and it's just bewildering! there are so many rods and I really don't know what I want. Every fishing shop I go into tries to sell me something different!

I use all sorts of lures, mostly the hard plastic ones though. Also do a bit of spinning with wedges/tobys.

I just bought a Abu cardinal reel (think it was the C176, not sure as it's at home now) if that makes any difference.

I don't want to spend silly money cos I'm quite poor and don't catch that many fish yet!

I'm on the north coast of Cornwall, if that helps, too.

Thanks in advance!!

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi Tom, the problem I have found is that the 'run of the mill' tackle shops aren't really aware of, or geared up for, this type of lure fishing and although some spinning rods will do a job, they aren't really the ideal option. You will get lots of replies from people recomending various rods and I am sure that most members of this Forum will be making very sensible suggestions but much of the actual choice comes down to a personal preference. I would advise speaking to the various tackle shops that advertise on this Forum as they are all 'right up there' with this type of lure fishing and having dealt with them all, I can vouch they all know their stuff! In north Cornwall, you should not be too far from the Art of Fishing so although they aren't necessarily any better (with all due respect to Ben and Jo) than any of the others, you would at least get hands on a rod before you buy.

#6 ·
highly reccomend getting your hands on a few before ordering, stops you wondering if you made the right choice. Saying that, there is some highly qualified advice to be had on this forum. If someone reccomends something, it's probably pretty good.

#9 ·
everything said, you can go and have a try with several rods and try to "feel" if they are doing what you want them to do or not. After having tried some youll understand and get a feeling for your needs!
Than have a look into classifieds here and see whether you can get the rod you want there.

Cheers
Thomas

#11 ·
Nice one guys! many thanks. I went for a Savage Gear multi-purpose spinning rod in the end. It was only £30, which I thought was very reasonable! definatley like to look of the bushwacker, but I reckon it's maybe a bit lightweight for what I need. Will probably get one at a later stage when I've got some more money, cos they look really good and everyone seems to be boning on about them.

#12 ·
well it depends on your type of fishing i use different rods for different things ,but i find that at 5'7 in height a rod not bigger than 2.2 metres work best for me ,i have a 7ft dorado and its perfect for top water fishing ,i also had a 7.5ft rocky which was amazing (was mislaid )i tend to use an 8ft rod if im sub surface fishing as i can get better distance on the cast ,but mostly i use the 7ft dorado its only 70 euro and well worth the money ,use with the new dawia tournament braid 20lb and you cant go wrong been using it all summer and have had a 13.5-14.5lb bass on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.