The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have only recently added hard lures to my arsenal and they are all floating. I'd like to also try a sub-surface lure and wondered if someone might care to suggest a decent one to start with ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Ray
If your looking for a shallow diving lure you wont be far wrong with a tackle house feed shallow. they are floating diver to about 18" to 2' its a must have lure and comes in a range of patterns.
i hope this helps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ray
If your looking for a shallow diving lure you wont be far wrong with a tackle house feed shallow. they are floating diver to about 18" to 2' its a must have lure and comes in a range of patterns.
i hope this helps.
Thanks Mike. I have a surface tackle house feed popper and was wondering about one of the divers. What is a 'Floating' 'Diver' There seems to be a contradiction in terms there ? Is it because you can fish it either way or..... ?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tim. From what I can see they are listed as 'floaters' not divers ?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ray, you can get sinking and floating divers - the description describes what happens when they are worked (diving) and when at rest (float or sink). You can also get suspsending lures which hold their depth when at rest (if tuned correctly before Keith corrects me!). Floating divers may be better to begin with as you can't really exceed their designed working depth so you know where you are in terms of snags etc. There are literally hundreds to choose from - depends what you want to spend, what action you want, what depth you want, what size you want, what colour you want etc etc.
The Tackle House Feed Shallow is one of my favourites too - runs really shallow and with a nice steady retrieve it works really well and catches fish plain and simple. That said, I have had 10 fish so far this year on a Maria Chase BW that costs half as much! The Duo Tide Minnow range are very popular and effective as are many of the Daiwa Saltiga lures and the Rapala X-Rap range. You can also look at Megabass for their Zonks etc, the OSP Rudra is getting rave reviews right now as well. Why not do some research, chat to some other anglers and even tackle shop owners to see what works well in your areas.
Look at www.mrfish.net, www.monstertackle.co.uk, and www.veals.co.uk for all the choice you will ever need!

·
Registered
779 Posts
As Tim mentions - 2 must haves - the feed shallow and the maria chase BW

welcome btw

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Essential floating divers
1. Tackle house Feed Shallow-very shallow running lure, great when you find bass in shallow/very shallow water.
2. Duo Tide Minnow SLD-F, great lure, casts very well, runs about 3'. A real workhorse bass lure.
3. Diawa Saltiga 140 minnow, casts well and runs about half way between the two lures mentioned above.

Stick the above lures into a search, that should give you plenty of reconmendations.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Thanks for all that Tim. As usual, tackle choice is mind boggling.....
Ray, no problem. There are as many answers as people to give them. Everyone has their favourites, but find a few that work for you and you can have confidence in and go from there. You can only have one on your line at a time, so don't go crazy to begin with. It can become obessive and expensive....
Tunny's advice above is sound so start from there.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys. I have kind of decided on a Duo Terriff DC-12 H10-TS AYU: Very shallow diver - max 50cm Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nope - follow Simon's link Ray. feed Shallow+ in Green Sandeel. I caught 75% of my fish on this lure last year..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheers Tim. The 1st time I followed his link it just took me to a main page. I think I'll give that one a go. Thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts