The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've kept a fishing diary on and off throughout my life, but seeing as I have much to learn about this lure fishing I've decided to up the ante in my commitment to doing this and the data I keep.

I've also decided to do this electronically rather than writing it down (then I can do it at work on a Monday morning!) so before I set myself something up from scratch, I'm just wandering what other people do and how they record data?

Cheers

Mike

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Mike

This is what I record on my Fishing Log

Fishing Log

Date

Grid reference

High Water

Height of tide

Moon rise & set

Barometric pressure

Time fished

Time fish caught

Water clarity

Ground type

Wind direction/speed

Water temperature

Weather conditions

Method

Catch

Shore or boat

Any other information, fishing partner etc

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
holy cow, Nigel! How do you find time to go fishing by the time you have recorded all that!

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Tim

It's all done on a spread sheet when I get back & it takes minutes once you have the template set up.
I have been part of a solunar study by Dr. Lee Campbell (a B.A.S.S. member) so I need to be accurate & give as much information as possible.
Of course you guys just pick out what bits you want to record.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
With no doubt in my mind. Get FishInSight Pro. The pro version just lets you put more than 10 fish on, which is useful. It works out your tide info, moon phases etc etc and gives you nice graph and things to let you play find a pattern if you like that sort of thing. You can also load up a map of the area you fish and it will work out the GPS for the mark kyou were on to allow accurate lunar info.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Have you got a link to FishInSight Pro Andy as so many options come up on Google when you put that in.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Thanks Andy

Is that it $49.95 USD for a lifetimes use or am I missing something??

I did see it on the BASS forum but to be honest I forgot to check it out at the time.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Yes, the trial version only lets you record 10 fish and 1 month use thereafter $50 lifetime plus updates and email support I understand. Not had any problems myself.

Try the trial and see what you think.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Yes, the trial version only lets you record 10 fish and 1 month use thereafter $50 lifetime plus updates and email support I understand. Not had any problems myself.

Try the trial and see what you think.
Have you paid the $50 & if so how long have you been using it??

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I paid the $50, had no issues, the chap is very good at responding to email as well. Shame about the current exchange rate to USD but i don't see it improving (from a GBP holders perspective) any time soon especially with the BP thing going on.

Been using it about 6 months or so but plugged in some data that I had in handwritten and excel spreadsheets to see what I got out of it before I purchased and since then stuck everything in.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Is this programme/diary easy to use? I mean I am terrible with learning new sites and stuff, is it numpty proof? Because it sound like something I wish I'd had for the last 5 years or so.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Good question. Once it's set up then it's a simple thing. The set up however might need some assistance if you are not PC proficient. e.g. adding the map and calibrating it to GPS points is the hard bit plus making the tides read right is a bit tricky as they don't cater for the tides we get here in Gsy I doubt it will for Jersey.

Keith, did you try it in the end?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Good question. Once it's set up then it's a simple thing. The set up however might need some assistance if you are not PC proficient. e.g. adding the map and calibrating it to GPS points is the hard bit plus making the tides read right is a bit tricky as they don't cater for the tides we get here in Gsy I doubt it will for Jersey.

Keith, did you try it in the end?
I am trying the free trial. How do you add the map?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Go to File, import Map. I think it has to be a JPG or BMP. I just got a Google Earth of Guernsey.

You can then calibrate the GPS points round the island by giving it 3 known GPS Co-ords round the island so it can work the rest out. I got the GPS off Google Earth as well by choosing easy to spot landmarks.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Oh, and I just stuck those 2 bass in FishInSight and it comes up with large negative values for the Solunar tidal force. There is a definite pattern with the bass that they are more active during a negative period of solunar values, nearly all my bass have come with a negative. Rockies I have had from big + to big - so they don;t seem as bothered.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Maybe a simple question, but wat does a big negative actually mean? When does it occur?

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Oh, and I just stuck those 2 bass in FishInSight and it comes up with large negative values for the Solunar tidal force. There is a definite pattern with the bass that they are more active during a negative period of solunar values, nearly all my bass have come with a negative. Rockies I have had from big + to big - so they don;t seem as bothered.
Same here Andy, more bass caught in the negative state of the solunar cycle by a long margin than those caught at positive times.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts