The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got home early from work today so decided to go fishing. What else is there to do in this weather?

I decided to try down at a local spot where some of the red Devonian rocks meet the sea. It was pretty murky as I made my way along the coast path and as I looked down at the sea I could make out a blobish shape that I took to be a seal. After scabbling down the cliff to the middle of the sandy stretch I quickly got set up and started working a chug bug, and there was my friend the seal making his way along the coast. Never sure if this is a good sign or not?

Not much action for the first half hour or so, and then the heavens opened BIG TIME, hammering it down for about 20mins. Not to be deterred, I made way way slowly up the beach looking for signs of activity. I could see, from some way off, that where one of the small streams runs into the sea, it was running(gushing) pure red, discolouring a huge area of water. As I got nearer I could see baitfish jumping within the coloured area, being chased my a shoal of mackerel.

I decided to change to an xrap sxr 10 ayu to see if I could bag a few mackerel. It was as I was changing lures that I saw it! A nice bass, of about 4/5lb, inches away from the waters edge and only 6 feet away from me, lazily writhing around in some rotting seaweed. My pulse immediately went up as I started working the lure.

The next hour or so saw me land 6 bass upto about the 3lb mark, as well as a load of mackerel, some hardly bigger than the lure! What was interesting is that nearly all the activity on the water took place within the area discoloured by the muddy red stream. 200yrds down the beach there is a place where a waterfall meets the sea, which was also running red, and gulls could clearly be seen having a food fest there as well, with nothing happening in between.

I must admit I did get sucked into running down to the other spot when things went quiet at my end. However, before I got there the gulls left and flew past me on their way to where I just was! So I slowly made my way back, casting as I went. Although there was apparently nothing going on in the 'middle stretch', I did land a couple fish here.

All this took place between middle, and high-tide. Even as I left, just after high, there was still plenty going on, with gannets, gulls and allsorts having a right good feed. I know where I'll be heading tomorrow evening!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Si Sounds like a good sesh!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers, Ben, it was much fun.

And yes, Tim, it's a beach I've been going to for many years, be it for swimming, camping, or fishing.

It's very popular amongst the smut chasers in this part of the world, but not so popular with pluggers it would seem. I usually fish it at low water as there are loads of decent gullies for the fish to lurk in, but decided to try it at high water today.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Looks like you had some fun there Simon....great report mate.......

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Here's the source of the discolouration. Doesn't look quite so red in the photo.

And here's one of the better fish.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Great report - well done on the fish too! Who would have expected the muddy water to hold all the bait fish and hence the mackerel & bass?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
reminds me of the water i fished in wales .well done mate cant wait for saturday i just know its gonna happen ??????

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Well done mate. I'm amazed to read to muddy water held the fish. My experience is the opposite. As I write this I am looking out the window of the bar of my campsite and can see big brown run off in the bay. i'm going to get my rod and flick a lure or two.

I will let you know the out come!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts