The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going lads so Iv decided Im going to get myself a tenryu, I have the pennies saved so its time to make the decision as to which one Im going to get......

I fish mostly hard lures off rock marks where the wind can pick up at times, however when the colder months move in Il be doing alot of sp fishing. Iv got plenty of opinions from the lads as to which one might do the job. So Iv narrowed it down to the super distance (what Im leaning towards), injection or super mix (which I think might be a bit on the heavy side)....

So guys feel free to leave your thoughts as it would be much appreciated to here your comments and experiences with the above rods...

Cheers.

James.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Personally James, i dont find the Supermix to be a heavier set-up than the RLSD (very little in it on length & weight - RLSD slightly longer, but slightly lighter). Also, the RLSD is far stiffer than the Mix, making it (in my opinion) less suitable than the Mix for s/p's. The Mix has a wider casting range making it again, in my opinion, more versatile.

The Mix is very versatile, and will just do everything. However, my favourite rod is the Injection. There are days when it may be a little outgunned by the conditions, but then you always have your Rookie to fall back on. The Injection will cope with lures such as the Z-Claw, Feed Shallow, etc . . with ease, and is just magnificient on the s/p's.

The only time i miss a stiffer rod, is when using a lure like the Zonk, where you lose some of the feedback you get up something like a Shukan or a Rookie (or Bar presumably ?).

If i think that the conditions may be a bit wild, or if i want to spend more time on hard lures, i take the Mix, if the conditions are a 'little more settled' then my weapon of choice is always the Injection.

Utimately it's a personal choice thing, but im very happy with my Supermix 240 & Injection, and if i only had one Tenryu then it would probably be the Mix, although i prefer using the Injection overall.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Have you ever noticed there are very few Super Mix that get sold second hand, I know only of 3 and I bought one of those myself!! The guy I bought my Mix off then went on the buy another one!! They are the most versitle rod I have ever known for lure fishing, in a weight range of 10-40g casting and up to 90+g vertical. I have enjoyed the fight from a 1lb schoolie to a 31lb Coalie on my 240. I find the RLSD too fast, like Simon said, a beautiful rod for what it is, an out and out hard lure rod.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Personally I would go for the RLSD,I am running one of these this year as a replacement for my RB270 (brilliant but to powerful).
As a general plugging rod I think its 'amazing' especially with surface lures etc,the action is very very fast but not as powerful as the Rod Bar.

·
Registered
125 Posts
James, i fish pretty much the same conditions as you mention and have recently brought a red rod having been using a shimano beastmaster 8ft, which has been great value. I'd go for the supermix from your list but i thought it worth saying that the rod bar 270, which i ended up getting is equally brilliant at casting and working shallow divers into the wind as it is twitching 5g sp's in settled conditions for me. I personally prefer an 8ft rod to hold but i felt i needed the extra ft for distance and having landed a few good size fish on it lately over some really rough ground, i've felt totally in control too and love the power it has without feeling heavy at all. If i could afford it i'd also own a supermix 240!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
First of all the first thing I notice about these descriptions is how different some are to my own experiences. So the first piece of advice is try before you buy. Everybody wants something different from their rods due to how and where they fish. The following is my personal opinion and does differ some.....

RLSD
Very light, very fast and well balanced. Soft tip makes it good for soft plastics but stiffens up quickly making it a very good hard bait rod too. In the right hands a very long casting rod but you have to work the rod to get the best out of it. Feels 'steely' in the hand. More than enough power to land any UK bass but sensitive enough to have fun with smaller ones. The action is very fast so stiffens up quickly when casting and playing fish. For me this is the best of the three here but still more powerful than need be.

SM240
I used one of these for a few months and to be honest couldn't work out what it was supposed to be. The tip is very soft making it ideal for soft plastics and short range fishing with hard baits. Casting wise, it didn't suit me at all and I found the action strange. The butt is poker stiff which in conjunction with such a soft top just felt mismatched. The 'Mix' in the name suggests multiple use which is why it is designed the way it is.

RB270
I had one of these for a few months and while it is a nice rod, for what I do it was just far too powerful. I don't need 50gm casting power from an everyday rod. When I need that much power I used a different rod. Other than that, it didn't feel so well balanced as the other two slightly top heavy.

Don't get me wrong, all of these rods are superb at what they are designed for but that is the problem. Considering these are all designed as lure rods they are very, very different in characteristics. Knowing which one suits you is difficult reading other people's reviews. Everyone will give an honest opinion based on how they fish. What matters is how YOU fish and without trying you won't know what suits you. I haven't tried any other Tenryus so can't comment on them.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
For next year I am looking at the Branzino 8'2" Daybreaker Custom that is designed to handle 5-24g.:wackit:
Will go nicely with the Branzino reel.:spoo::-D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well James,

I got a RLSD from Cian recently and have to say I really like it. Its very light and has a bit of grunt when needed around some of the rock marks.

Your more than welcome to have a cast or try it out for a session to get a feel for the rod itself if you like

Im in waterford, drop me a pm or cian has me number and il catch up with ya.

Tom

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi j
I have the super mix 240 and rod bar 270. I find the super mix the better all round rod it works well with hard lures and Sp s and i fish mostly rough ground areas.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Love my supermix 270! I won't ever be selling it and can't say I'm even interested in buying any of the other Tenryu's to be honest simply because it does everything I need. I don't think you'd regret getting one.

There is only one bad point about the rod though... I can't fit it in my car boot because of the way it joins together. The top section is slightly longer than the butt so getting the 270 in the boot is impossible which means I usually take it in the pub with me after a fishing session as I don't like leaving stuff on show in the car. Might not be a problem with the 240 though?!?!?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
There is only one bad point about the rod though... I can't fit it in my car boot because of the way it joins together. The top section is slightly longer than the butt so getting the 270 in the boot is impossible which means I usually take it in the pub with me after a fishing session as I don't like leaving stuff on show in the car. Might not be a problem with the 240 though?!?!?
The 240 fits in my boot. However, the Injection doesnt (2-piece, but splits just above the handle), so i have the same issue as you with your 270.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
James,
I would be as honest with yourself as possible, about where and how you fish.
Short range twitching SP's or trying to bang them into the distance along with some hard plastics, think about the marks that you fish.
Once you have been really honest about your fishing, Give **** at MrFish a ring. I know you will get a no bull**** honest answer to any of your questions.
Plus **** has at least handled, if not fished with more of the Tenryu range than most of us.
Choosing a rod is a very personal thing, even two guys that fish the same lures in the same places will often choose different rods. So tell **** what you "want" the rod to do. Then He should be able to reconmend which model is best suited to YOU.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I did as Dave suggested and **** recommended the SM 240 and I love it. Have caught using big (ish) hard lures at distance and SP under the rod tip in all weathers. As an all round rod I find it excellent, and light years better than my old rod.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I think Dave is spot on BUT I must add, if you've been fishing with lures for donkeys years then I think you're in a far better position to know 'what you want' from a rod than if you've been at it a couple of years like me. I often make Vidar laugh I'm sure with all my questions but there's no substitute for experience. He often describes things I can't quite get to grips with as I've not actually experienced the same scenario. Choosing a rod with only a few years under your belt soon makes you realise one rod is not enough but my ultimate quandry is actually knowing what it is I do want. You start running away with yourself wondering which rod would suit either topwater, sub surface, deep divers, swimbaits, soft plastics, vertical jigging, open water, rocky shores, head winds, distance, and on and on etc. Finding a rod (and reel as thats just as important) that covers you for at least 2 of those things still leaves you wanting for more. Trying taking 2 rods out with you everytime you fish a mark and you very quickly realise just how different each one is and how important having the right tools for the job can be.

I once stood on a rock 10 metres from Vidar, both using the same lure, a zonk. He outfished me 10 -1 as I just couldn't get the fizz on the Zonk that he was getting with his 'perfect' set up. My £400 rod wasn't designed for a Zonk and it showed.

I've now got a RB240 which is like a broom handle at times but so superb for what I wanted it for. Top water, sub-surface and diving hard lures. I took a while to decide in ***** shop as I was seriously thinking about a SM240 but decided against it as it was simply a 'mix' rod and neither specific for either job, hard or soft. I also find myself thinking the RB240's lower but is too long and I could do with a 6" chop so it never ends. My next purchase will be a Softie specific rod but I also know everyone has a budget so my quandry for you James would be, do you need to spend all your money on one rod? Perhaps you'll have more fun allround if you spend it on 2 rods for 2 occasions. It's just my opinion but I hope it helps as £400 on a rod and it's not quite 'what you want' is hard to swallow no matter what advice you've been given.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Andy is of course right!

No one rod will do everything you want, I also have a Teklon 832M just for the hard lure sessions (a great rod to compliment the supermix without breaking the bank), a 6' Rookie also from **** for ultra light stuff on local rivers, a 9' Hardy Sirrus spinning rod which is great for diving lures and metal spinners and an Esox Spinflex 7' 4-15g for light lures and softies for the local river pike.

Plus the 7or 8 different fly rods I have....

You can never have too many IMHO :)

But yeah, call ****.

·
1,866 Posts
Love my supermix 270! I won't ever be selling it and can't say I'm even interested in buying any of the other Tenryu's to be honest simply because it does everything I need. I don't think you'd regret getting one.

I have to side with Chad on this one. I too love my Super Mix 270. Its a good all round rod that will handle most lures. I also have a Super Mix 240 for when I dont need casting distance, & a Rodbar 270 which I use in windy conditions. As has probably been said already, different people will use different rods for the same sort of fishing with the same lure.

The 240 fits in my boot. However, the Injection doesnt (2-piece, but splits just above the handle), so i have the same issue as you with your 270.
Why do people buy cars with small boots?

Most people will have car problems with the Injections.

Regards

·
Registered
884 Posts
James. I dont own a red rod and never will (Iam too tight:) ) But when i was in the shop the other week the only one did it an any sort of way for me was the super distance. By far the pick of the bunch from what I seen..

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
A very topical train of thought has arisen from this thread, and I have been wanting to start a thead on it for a while. Basically I get alot of phone calls every week from people wanting a sp rod, and they are asking me for my advice on whet they need. I am no expert on sp rods because

1) I havent been using sp's that long and am still struggling to know exactly hat it is I am supposed to be donig/feeling

2) I really dont know of a rod on the market that is marketed as a sp rod, well not one that covers the range that the general shore angler requires.

3) Some people like a fast action rod for sp work and some people (me) like a medium-fast action, almost parabolic, with loads of backbone but a sensetive tip a bit like a drop shot rod)

I am thinking there is probably two styles people like, maybe more if you take in fishing on the drop.....?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts