The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my mate fishing last night, first time plugging in a long while (his own admission). He was late. Why was he late?

He'd been buying a new spinning rod since it had been a while and he came out with a Red Ultimate One. Shame about the huge 4000 rear drag with 30lb fireline crystal but hey, he can't get it all right the first time.

I of course couldn't teach him much without having a few chucks of the rod... to get a feel for it you understand... :wink:

To me it felt very soft in the tip and heavy and very long. Heavy likely due to the reel. But blimey it's no effort at all to cast, just a flick with no power and the Patchinko flew out even with the heavy braid. Amazing for casting. Not ideal for working a surface lure due to being so soft and long (compared to my Infeet and Rocksweeper anyway). It did the job though and we fished away.

Fish jumping, swirls all over the place, I tried nigh on everything I had on me and nothing took.

At least we had a go.

So anyway, why's this in the tackle section?

I guess because I wanted to ask more about the Red Ultimate One as it's the first red one I have got my hands on. I won't buy anything rod wise without having a wiggle, and fishing situations are much better to try out.

So now I have tried this one how do others think it compared to other red rods. is it soft tipped? Felt so to me but obvious power when the rod started to bend further.

I know I have enough rods at the moment but i'll be in Jersey in October........... Problem is that my rocksweeper is very very good but a lot stiffer than the Red Ultimate One.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I am sure Keith will chime in too - I have had my Ultimate One for nearly two years - still feels great although it has been left in the cupboard as the SM270 had a shorter handle for the yak ... still great for hard baits, works topwater easily (timing takes a bit getting back into as the SM270 was a faster tip) and no intention of parting with it!

Its a good rod - lasted longer than the SM270 although I still had two rings rewhipped recently for peace of mind ...

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Andy I have owned the RB270 and now the RLSD.
The RB270 is a brilliant rod for "BASS" plugging with hard baits and top water stuff,It has a very very fast and powerful action but for me it was just too powerful.
Also 'for me' too long at 8'10",as a TOTAL BASS ROD I cant imagine you could get better and maybee if thats what you want you should try the 240 (7'10").
The RLSD 'to me' is the same rod but just thinner and less powerful (brutal) and more of an all rounder that is more fun to use with all species etc.
These opinions are just mine through experience of using them,I would also say that if you are into soft plastics then the 'Bar' series may not be the one to go for.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a red ultimate one and I find there is no sensitivity when working soft plastics. Its fantastic for working hard lures though. and as you say casts a mile and has plenty of power. I havnt used any other Red rods but I would say that its probably slightly softer in the tip than my 8` bushwaker. I say this as the vibration from a zonk is felt through the bushwaker on a steady retrieve, but I only feel the vibration from the zonk when i sweep the rod tip on the RUO. So it seems to soak up some of the feel.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a red ultimate one and I find there is no sensitivity when working soft plastics. Its fantastic for working hard lures though. and as you say casts a mile and has plenty of power. I havnt used any other Red rods but I would say that its probably slightly softer in the tip than my 8` bushwaker. I say this as the vibration from a zonk is felt through the bushwaker on a steady retrieve, but I only feel the vibration from the zonk when i sweep the rod tip on the RUO. So it seems to soak up some of the feel.
That sums up what I was trying to say much better than I waffled on about!!

I am just trying to find out if it is soft because I am using very fast tipped rods and used to that or otherwise. The Red Ultimate one is not for light softies and I don't think would cope "if it had to".

I guess I am looking for a one rod solution to work mainly hard and heavier soft lures (to about 43g) but still be able to "manage" with a 7g + soft lure for those trips where I cannot take both rods. That rod isn't it but it was nice to see how amazingly well it effortlessly cast hard lures.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Yeh, i have the Supermix 240. It's got plenty of grunt, with a hell of a strong backbone. The tip is softer than a Rod Bar, or even a Shukan, and requires a slightly different casting style to access the power. It's fine with hard baits, but you do lose a little feedback on a lure such as the Zonk, versus a Bar or a Shukan.

It does cope with the 7g - 10g range, but is not in the same league as the Injection at those weights . . . . but will do it.

It is a compromise rod. It is perfect for someone like me who lives a fair way from the sea (60 miles to my nearest decent marks), and needs to hedge-my-bets on what conditions i may find when i get there.

I've landed both my pb Bass & Pike on it. It's a lovely bit of kit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The SM 240 does everything and more. Fish in my Avatar was caught using a SM 240 last week, no greater advert for a quality piece of kit.

Fishing report will follow shortly.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Looks like a good Permit Jim,
Free lined dollar crabs??
Strong fish aren't they.

·
Registered
645 Posts
As a recent red rod puchaser, I waggled the RUO, Red Dragon Express and RB270 before settling on the RB240, all the others felt too long for me

Thats was my 5th plugging rod purchase in two years, they keep getting shorter, yet costing more money....something is wrong there!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Freelined shrimp. 43lb on scales and yes it hurt me and the supermix. I have waited a long while to truly test the supermix and it performed very well.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yea, I use mine for long distance plugging, sidewinders and punching stuff into gales.
I wouldn't use it all for HRF and it's not soft anywhere imho.

However, into the weather, I've found nothing better for 15 - 30g plugs and bigger (retrieve or swung style) soft lures 20-40g all up.
Great at moving flutter lures (pressbaits) at range and it can blast 20-30g metals, bucktails and diamond jigs out there but....

IMHO: It lacks the sensitivity to work anything under 20g all up properly OTD unless it's close to the rod tip.

I won't sell mine, too useful late season.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Have landed 20LB Halibut,27LB Cod & Best of all Coalfish to 32LB on the mix,vertical up to 150g on one day,casting up to 60g lures on another or bouncing light weight jigs across the bottom the next, the mix does it all.Think i was the first in the uk to own a supermix 240 & it has not let me down, in fact it keeps on getting better as it becomes more of an extention of my hand rather than just a fishing rod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts