The Lure Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been asked by a chap for advice on a 8000 size reel with a high speed retrieve, fishing from a boat, have told him i will ask here. Anyone with any ideas?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
King of Kings will be a Stella SW 8000 XG - the JDM's have the fast gear and comes with a lovely carbon handle too ...

Do you know fish target and water depth? if he is fishing deep he can step up to a 10000 or 18000 which have fast gear models .... (for either heavier PE or more capacity!)

Daiwa Dogfight may also be an alternative but I reckon Stella's have a slight edge :)

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes deep water jigging, seems to be a stella sw 8000 or 10000. Targeting fish offshore in Kenya. TP sw 8000 may also be an option then? Current reel is a 8000 Navi, but the chap wants a 100cm+ retrieve.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hmmm depends on how deep he wants to jig - but either way the Stella's are king!

For jigging we tend to go for the slower cranking PG models - I have a 20000SW for grinding! (think it still has over 1m+ retrieve?)

You could use the Twinpower SW 8000 quite happily tbh but there is only a slight price drop from the Stella SW's ...

It would be worth looking at the 20000 purely for line capacity - I have around 400m of JB 80Lb Hollowcore on mine and would prolly swallow 500m of normal PE8 ...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Go for a Shimano Twinpower SW 8000 PG, Stella SW 8000PG or Daiwa Saltiga 4500, lower gears are nicer for jigging but if you want to use it for both popping and jigging I may be tempted towards an HG version or the 4500H Daiwa and fish jigs under 200g with a long stroke which is less tiring, popping with a PG reel is a pain in the ass. All three will take around 300m of PE4 (50lb) or more if you choose a dedicated jigging braid. I've got Varivas Avani Big One and the PE3 in that breaks at something like 48lb..

For the price difference if you're umming and aahhhing about the Twinpower you might as well get a Stella and have done. If you get the Saltiga you need to upgrade the drag washers to Carbontex from Smoothdrag.com, the stock washers are sh!t, really sticky.

Big fish have been taken on these small reels, one guy in the states had a 200lb bluefin on a Stella 6000. Good skills!

Hope that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts