The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new reel for general lure fishing, plugs and plastics. I only have a budget of up to £150. Any ideas?
Grant.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mark,
I will be using it with my Sakura Rookie 8ft 6in LR-MH 15-50g but also planning to invest the lighter Sakura rookie 7ft 8in LR-M 10-35g.
Grant

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
The Shimano Rarenium is worth a look as a starting point. A few chaps on here have that reel and reports are positive. Its a very light reel though, so maybe someone with the Rookie could let you know how it balances (the set up may be slightly tip heavy). I have a 15-40g Shukan which is similar to the heavier Rookie and use mine with a Certate 3000.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I dont think you can beat Shimano! Predictable I know but the Rarenium is a lovely smooth reel. Just look after it as its not saltwater proof!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I don't think you can beat Daiwa! hehe ;-)

As good as they may be, I do wonder if the Rarenium would be too light on an 8'6 Rookie? Perhaps on the 7'6 though... I'd consider the Daiwa Coastal in the 2500 if you got the 7'6" (or 3000 if you stayed with the 8'6"). They're quite different reels, but just a case of choosing the most suitable I guess...

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I dont think you can beat Shimano! Predictable I know but the Rarenium is a lovely smooth reel. Just look after it as its not saltwater proof!
Andrew I used to think that way,,,,,But things have changed and these 'new' breed of Daiwas are for me better.
Just check out the bail arm system and the fantastic gearing etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the sakura 7ft 8 rookie and the rarenium 3000 is lovely on it, really light set up and can work the rod and reel all day long without any problems. Not sure about the 8ft 6 as i dont own one but on the smaller rod it is a lovely set up. The reel is ultra smooth, i have filled it with whiplash crystal so i can still keep the line capacity as most advise to go for the 4000 but i'm glad i stuck with my original idea and bought the 3000. I will admit i have always prefered an ultra light setup though.

Can't comment on the Daiwa's as i stick with shimano. Be interesting what the comments will be on the condition of the daiwas in 10 years time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Forgot to add that i got mine for £130 free delivery but can't remember where it was from now, i tried to find it but couldn't, so can't point you in there direction. I searched high and low on the internet for the best price.

Rarenium 3000 200g daiwa coastal 375g
Rarenium 5.0-1 coastal 5.3-1

I mainly do surface plugging so for me the slower retrieve is ideal.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Andrew I used to think that way,,,,,But things have changed and these 'new' breed of Daiwas are for me better.
Just check out the bail arm system and the fantastic gearing etc.
Oh no! Another excuse to spend money!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks everyone certainly enough to think about, tempted with the rarenium but I did read somewhere about a Sakura reel I think it was called an apalax??
I can't seem to find much info on it, or an outlet to get a price. Anyone used one?
Grant.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Rarenium 3000 200g daiwa coastal 375g
Rarenium 5.0-1 coastal 5.3-1
To be fair and just to avoid confusion, the this is slightly the wrong way round and it should be the 4000 Rarenium being compared to the 3000 Coastal. Off the top of my head I think the 4000 Rarenium is something like 235g and the 3000 Coastal is 315g?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
To be fair and just to avoid confusion, the this is slightly the wrong way round and it should be the 4000 Rarenium being compared to the 3000 Coastal. Off the top of my head I think the 4000 Rarenium is something like 235g and the 3000 Coastal is 315g?
Just looked on the Shimano website, the Rarenium 4000 is quoted at 260g. I've just bought one & with my Bushwacker 20-60g 8' 6" (a bit of a beast perhaps for plugging) I think that the Rarenium 4000 probably is a bit too light for that particular rod (like you talked about Ben). The set up seems a tip heavy. Does not seem to be a major problem at the moment but i'd probably notice the benefit of a more balanced set up. I'll just have to buy another rod to suit my reel!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Just looked on the Shimano website, the Rarenium 4000 is quoted at 260g. I've just bought one & with my Bushwacker 20-60g 8' 6" (a bit of a beast perhaps for plugging) I think that the Rarenium 4000 probably is a bit too light for that particular rod (like you talked about Ben). The set up seems a tip heavy. Does not seem to be a major problem at the moment but i'd probably notice the benefit of a more balanced set up. I'll just have to buy another rod to suit my reel!
I've often thought that with my 'Wacker and an Exage 4000 FB, that weighs in at a portly 390g!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
To be honest I am not sure if the Bushy is heavy or not. I fished with one for most of last year-amazing rod for the money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts