The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,the time has come,the pennys are saved just about to order a 240 super mix!!!.I now have to decide on a suitable reel to match the rod ,the two reels being considered are shimano rarenium 400 or quantum 130 offshore.After speaking to Ben(Art of Angling) he suggests the rarenium may be a tad light to balance the 240sm but i have also read about problems with corrosion issues re the quantum (american web sites),any suggestions re make of reel or problems encountered.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Colin, i have the Rarenium 4000 on my Supermix 240, and it's a lovely combo. I personally dont find it too light. I've had no issues with my set-up.

If you are in Weymouth this weekend, you would be very welcome to have a waggle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the offer Simon, sadly can't make this weekend but it would be nice handle different reels on the SM,have tried the Quantum on the SM in Ben's shop and its a lovelly combo just the possible corrosion issues.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
My choice would be the Quantum, a Cabo or PT by choice. Good solid reels. But the Shimano is a good reel too. If you can, take the rod to the shop and try both on it. See which one feels better to you!!
ALOT of guys in the US use Quantum without issues, don't believe everything you read on some of the US forums. It is very very tribal some guys pro daiwa, some Shimano, other Penn or Quantum. So you get alot of "bitching" , but not alot of truth.

Reactions: Peter Gridgeman

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave,
thanks for the comments i think the Quantum is a super little reel and would probably balance better on the 240 SM.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Colin I have a Rarenium and a Cabo - I 'm a tackle tart!. The Cabo is a slightly heavier reel as previously mentioned and I use this on my SM240 with the rarenium on my shukan. I dont think you would be dissapointed with either reel but I do think that a marginally better balance would be with the Cabo. Both reels are a delight to use and I havent seen any issues with either reel (so far) in salt water although I am do rinse in fresh water.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Sorry Colin you may well be right. Someone like Ben might be able to explain the difference between the Cabo and the ci30!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Colin, i have the Rarenium 4000 on my Supermix 240, and it's a lovely combo. I personally dont find it too light. I've had no issues with my set-up.

If you are in Weymouth this weekend, you would be very welcome to have a waggle.
Gaz has that setup too. Seems like a good match!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts