The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the general feeling on how to go about maintenance after each fishing session. Do people rinse their reels with freshwater, use lubrication and if so which sort, or do nothing until a full service?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
In an ideal world I would suggest;

After each trip to give the reel a wipe over with a lightly oiled soft cloth (not WD40 as this can remove decals on the reel).

Once a month (every ten trips) loosen the bail roller (or remove if familular with reels) and oil the bearing/bush inside. Remove handle and oil the bearings inside reel body where the handle stem goes through the reels body. Oil all moving parts on handle. Oil the bail arm at either end where it is joined to the rotar, no need to unscrew from body, just some oil in the gap will do (just a drip or two). Take off the spool and drip a little oil on the main shaft where it enters the rotar locking nut, wind the reel a few times to let the oil lube up the shaft where it enters the reel.

After a dunking in the sea I would advise you rinse in fresh water asap and then box it and send it that day to Felindre if its a Shimano, or Daiwa UK in Scotland, with a note saying your name, address, phone number and the date the reel went in the drink. If its not a Daiwa or Shimano then send it to one of the reel care repair services that exist. If you are confident then have a go yourself to completely strip it and oil everything again. Keep the anti-reverse system dry of water and oil, this part should not be wet in any way.

Get to know tackle shops, friends, or businesses near where you live that are good at stripping reels, they are very handy people to know. I actually love stripping reels and servicing them, but I am just too busy these days to do any more than the local ones I repair.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
A quick rinse under the cold tap, not too much pressure from the water, shake off the excess water and leave to dry in the kitchen (out of any direct sunlight) on kitchen roll. Between services, I might oil the bail roller and handle but that is it.
The lures I used are rinsed too and hung off the edge of a flower pot. Trebles and split rings last a lot longer doing this.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

After each trip to give the reel a wipe over with a lightly oiled soft cloth (not WD40 as this can remove decals on the reel).

Once a month (every ten trips) loosen the bail roller (or remove if familular with reels) and oil the bearing/bush inside. Remove handle and oil the bearings inside reel body where the handle stem goes through the reels body. Oil all moving parts on handle. Oil the bail arm at either end where it is joined to the rotar, no need to unscrew from body, just some oil in the gap will do (just a drip or two). Take off the spool and drip a little oil on the main shaft where it enters the rotar locking nut, wind the reel a few times to let the oil lube up the shaft where it enters the reel.

After a dunking in the sea I would advise you rinse in fresh water asap and then box it and send it that day to Felindre if its a Shimano, or Daiwa UK in Scotland, with a note saying your name, address, phone number and the date the reel went in the drink. If its not a Daiwa or Shimano then send it to one of the reel care repair services that exist. If you are confident then have a go yourself to completely strip it and oil everything again. Keep the anti-reverse system dry of water and oil, this part should not be wet in any way.

Get to know tackle shops, friends, or businesses near where you live that are good at stripping reels, they are very handy people to know. I actually love stripping reels and servicing them, but I am just too busy these days to do any more than the local ones I repair.
Great advice ****. Thanks. What oil would you recommend is used?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the advice, I've always wondered whether i was doing enough or to much. When you send the shimano reels to felindre how do they charge and would they service reels sent from Ireland.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I always wash off the saltwater under a warm tap and then dry with one of those micro cloths.
Every few sessions I re- oil the line roller and the handle knob.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Great advice ****. Thanks. What oil would you recommend is used?
Just a soft cloth with some 3-in-1 is fine Toby, I have never been one for rinsing under a tap, as some reels really dont like getting wet in any way, I find a lightly oiled surface displaces the water quickly and it runs off the reel rather than sitting all over it and coroding corners etc.

Thanks for the advice, I've always wondered whether i was doing enough or to much. When you send the shimano reels to felindre how do they charge and would they service reels sent from Ireland.
They woukld phone you and give you a quote on how much they reckon it will all be, a debit/credit card will pay for it and you should have it bck within a few days.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I sometimes use a 'silicone' gun cloth when cleaning my reels,its like water running off a Barbour jacket.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
They woukld phone you and give you a quote on how much they reckon it will all be, a debit/credit card will pay for it and you should have it bck within a few days.
If for whatever reason Felindre can't/don't come up with the goods Quentin Millman down here in Plymouth has done some good work for me in the past. He's normally busy but it's an alternative place to send your reels should you need one.

http://www.fishingreelrepairs.co.uk/main.html

Cheers

Toby

1 - 11 of 11 Posts