The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to think its pure luck of the draw when it comes to reel reliability Naively I assumed that if you pay more it lasts longer and while I'm sure there is some truth in it I also think that luck has a part to play as well as what you do with it, of course.

Example, I was using a Technium worked fine, still does, decide to upgrade to a Twin Power which turned out to be a total disaster, bail arm sticks halfway and one splash of water and it grinds to a halt !! This after TWO trips to Felindre. It now sits at home immaculate and useless!

I toyed with the idea of buying mid range, using it for a season and retiring it. I could have had two Techniums or Daiwa costals say for the price of a Certate. I'll probably buy another Certate as they are class when running well. Just hoping for some good luck with reels going forward.

·
Registered
149 Posts
hi dave,im with you on that one..funny how in this forum u hear loads of anglers rave about the certates and how they have
been running like clockwork for years and then you have the likes of us that have these problems emerge in brand new reels that cost nearly 400 euro...****

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think that now the likes of Shimano and Diama have made their name in their chosen fields, they have stopped trying. All too often, I reckon there are either entire reels, or parts, or even the assembly of the reels, is happening out of "house". It may say Daiwa or Shimano on the box, but what it shoud say is, "subbed out to the lowest bidder" and then labelled accordingly
Purely my opinion of course.

Reactions: David Norman

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I had a cheap Mitchel - lasted about 4 sessions in the salt before it died.
Technium 4000 - Needed new bearings within one season (luckily i work 6 miles from Felindre).
Exage 3000 - No issues, nearing end of 1st season.
Rarenium 3000 & 4000 - no issues nearing end of 1st season
Certate 2000 - no issues, but still very new.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I am nothing short of a reels worst nightmare, I rarely wash a reel (unless someone else washes it for me) and if one of my reels lasts til the winter I might service it. I have destroyed many a fine reel over the years, from cheap ones to Branzinos, so if a reel lasts me more than one season I am impressed. One reel that I have had for about 4 years and it is still going strong (its the one I lend to people when I take them fishing) is the Shimano Technium Magnesium (their light stuff before the C14 came out). This reels has been fully stripped by me a few times and I have replaced the roller bearing in the bail arm a few times, but it just keeps going. I agree it can be a lottery with a reels reliance, why oh why cant we have a decent SW reel once and for all, that isnt 1lb in weight and does actually feel smooth and lay line properly, and under £500. Asking the impossible I suppose. As it goes my Rarenium is still bang on after a season, albeit a slow season with not much fishing or fish!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Anybody else got anything to say about reel reliability, good bad or indiferent. Shimano Diawa or VS?
Are Michael Quirke and I just unlucky or are we just getting our fair share of failures?
Interesting thread and highlights the use of freshwater reels in the salt.
Shimano etc promote ARB but they aren't supposed to used in the ocean ??

VS ? Bomb proof. I have 2, no issues and one has spent hundreds of hours completely submerged.
People say, "Those VS's are too stiff, too slow, too heavy, overbuilt etc"

And I say....

Yes, but mine still works.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
VS ? Bomb proof. I have 2, no issues and one has spent hundreds of hours completely submerged.
People say, "Those VS's are too stiff, too slow, too heavy, overbuilt etc"

And I say....

Yes, but mine still works.
I agree, totally bomb-proof, apart from the roller on one of mine :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts