The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been asked in some guise, but I'm in the market for a new plugging rod this weekend and really stuck on what to go for. Got £150 absolute maximum at the moment, had something recommended by mrfish. Still not sure what I'm after.

most of my lures are shallow divers to 18g, couple of poppers and some medium sp's. Currently using a 10' 20-60g abu conolon classic which has served me well, but is just to unwieldy. I fish from rocks mostly, bit of estuary thrown in.

Not asking much I know lol, but suggestions greatly received. Oh, and it needs to be something in stock somewhere really as I'm one of those people who just can't wait!!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I have the Quantum 240 and it's a lovely rod with plenty of grunt. That said, I now choose to fish with my lad's 8'6" Bushwacker as it is more sensitive and better with the lighter lures and SP's. I think the 2010 Bushwacker models are around £90? I haven't tried the Rookie, but when I had a go with Si Lewis' Shukan (the Roookie predecessor) I loved it. The Teklon Concept spin gets good reviews at around £130 but I've never tried one. The good news there is plenty of choice in your budget of quality lure rods. Also, if MrFish makes a recommendation, it's worth listening. They are dealers in business for a profit of course, but they won't sell you what they want to sell. They will sell you what they think suits you best and they have plenty of input from their own angling, and many other experienced customers. Happy shopping!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's so far, it's looking a toss up between the Cormoran TR4 8-45g and the Daiwa powermesh x 5-30g. I'm half scared of going light though, can you still persuade the fish away from the boulders etc??

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I had a few casts of my uncles TR4 he bought the other day, and it feels lovely, feather light, and has the feel of a more expensive rod. Its hard to imagine these new modern rods having backbone when coming in from another heavier thicker rod, but even my little 10-30g 7ft Bushwhacker has more than enough power for the things I do, including horseing Wrasse through rough ground. And Wrasse fight like mighty warriors compared to Bass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts