The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When fishing LRF, I guess a lot of people will be fishing from small piers, harbour walls etc... Certainly my first try out will be from a large concrete pier in Penzance. I guess at high tide, the water will still be about 8' minimum from the fishing platform.

I do have an extendable catch net, but how do you guys return your little fish from height?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
A lot of the harbours we fished last winter had steps nearby, so there would be a little jog over to them to return fish. When we fished Elizabeth Castle breakwater for Pollack, there were no steps and we were a long way above the water, so we used a dropnet to land and return fish. Vital to have a mate there to help though, and its a nightmare in the wind!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Try not to handle the fish, just hold the hook if you can and try to flick them off (easier if barbs crunched - your choice). If you must try to wet yuor hands but then they just get harder to handle (bar of soap etc).

If they are still lively then bass and pollack seem to easily survive a small drop.

Pout are the kings of belly flops and the slightest drop seems to trouble them. Second only to Grasdos (smelts in UK speak) which are struggling the second they leave the water. Both reasonable squid bait though.......

I'll get my coat on the way out...

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Second only to Grasdos (smelts in UK speak) which are struggling the second they leave the water. Both reasonable squid bait though.......
They die on even a tiny cast when livebaiting with them. Might have to get a baitboat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts