The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from the previous thread about using swivels these days, I notice that more and more of us are using rig rings as opposed to swivels.

Thought I would try these, but no where seems to mention the breaking strain of the different makes. Some look smoother than others.

Anybody suggest from experience which are the best make shape and size etc to go for?

Thanks

Ps I also use the Illex hyper 8 link and find them very good, but they can be hard to undo at times.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Are these to connect the lure via a split ring or to connect your braid to your leader?

If you want to use a tiny ring at the end of your leader look for the Rio ones used for flyfishing. The bigger version, Andy Lush at the Friendly Fisherman sells them. They're pretty strong and smooth. At the terminal end any of the smaller Owner solid rings will do the job. Size 6 with a matching split ring is pretty small. Choose Owner split rings not Varivas as the Varivas ones deform too easily.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Try learning a friction knot for braid to leader. There are many types. They'll give you better knot strength than joining to a solid ring. Braid doesn't like being compressed on itself as would happen when tying to a ring. Failing that a bimini in the mainline to a loop in the braid, cats pawed i.e. thread the loop through and through. Knot strength may not be an issue with the fish we catch here but if you get your lure stuck its nice to have your leader knot hold up so you can get it back!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks David, I have tried several knots over the years and have yet to find one I am happy with when I test them out. Like you say the braid is the line that causes the problems.
Can`t say I have tried the loop and bimini, will give it a go.

·
Registered
239 Posts
When you make the loop in your leader put twists into the mono/floro first by spinning the standing and tage ends in different directions. Then tie the loop using either triple surgeons or figure 8. Then when the loop is formed it will be twisted together rather than bering flared, if that makes sense. Will be less likely to hang up on your guides.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I use korda rig rings oval, to join braid to leader never had a problem with them.

Reactions: Dave Perkins
1 - 7 of 7 Posts