The Lure Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just bought some new soft plastics, thay are Slug-go eel immitations have a look at this link to see them working underwater http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trz-d573zH8.

I'm going to be concentrating a lot of my lure fishing efforts on a particular beach in cornwall called Loe bar. The beach is very similar to Chesil beach Dorset with repect to the fact it is a deep shelving shingle bar, with large cusps and berms, and a shore dump beach break. Anyway I'm confident that this slug-go lure will be very effective there as I have had lots of fish on live eel. I'm wondering what the best way to rig them is? whether I should use them with a jig head, or on a running ledger with a sliding bomb or drilled shot?

Any thoughts on rigging and tips on how to work these style lures most effectively.

Thanks

Simon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm no expert but I believe the general consensus is that jig heads etc have a somewhat negative effect on the action of these lures. I'm told the best way to rig them is as per the instructions, using texposer hooks, then if you need extra weight you can add belly weights to the hooks. You can get the hooks and belly weights here: https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Lures.html

Would be interested to hear how you get on, I fished Loe Bar a couple of times last year (blanked) and will deffo be back this year, beautiful place.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I believe the general consensus is that jig heads etc have a somewhat negative effect on the action of these lures.
Been using sluggo's for about a decade on both jighead, wacky, weightless, internally weighted etc...

You'll find that the general consensus is both right and wrong. Weight kills the action of lures ? Maybe, but done right, it can enhance it.

Alot of information on some UK based forums is based upon, I heard this, or that and so it gets passed down, often incorrectly.

Sluggo's are no different to any other 'slug' bait of which the xlayer is a family member. The same people telling you sluggo's don't work on jig heads will quite happily fish a 4" or giant xlayer on one though ?

go fish em and make up your mind as to what works best m8.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Slug-Go works well in a 20 gram lip weight jig head. Of course, you can't make that really nice twitching and subtle live like animation like when rigging it weightless, but you can fish with in fast current, vertically in deeper spots, and make long casts.

For fishing in beaches (at least sand beaches) I like too use a jighead, I select the weight to match the strenght of the sea (larger waves more weighted jigheads). When fishing a Slug-Go with a jighead I like to cast, let it sink and then work with rod tip jerks in a jig saw motion so that the Slug-Go jumps of the bottom.

Heres the proof that Slug-Go's can work with "heavy" jigheads (if you zoom in you can see the slug in the mouth of the bass):

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, nice fish pedro, will get out there and give it a go, I'm thinking that the Jigheads may be the way forward as there is a lot of wash on the beach and I'd like to keep the slug down nearer to the bottom.

Cheers.

·
Banned
792 Posts
where do you buy them slug gos in 6" or 7.5" (looking for a cheap online shop) and I am also looking for texan plombe hooks with different weights. Is it true that they are only available from vmc, eagle claw, decoy and gamakatsu?

Cheers
Thomas

PS anybody building his weighted hooks with clamping lead olives in home work? Font Circle Close-up Macro photography Pattern

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought them on Ebay, a packet of 6" and one of 7.5" cost me 5 quid each so not too bad. Veals.co.uk also sell them. Dunno about the hooks mate but Mr Fish Jersey will probably be able to sort something out have a look at his website.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts