The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good mate of mine has just moved house, and now lives right next to the River Dee at Farndon, Chester.

As i'll be heading up there soon to visit him, i was wondering if any of you know what can be caught in the river around there, in case i should be sneaking my rods into the car ;) ?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting, so the migratory fish run up there. Was hoping that there may be the option of Pike & Perch though also ?

·
Registered
631 Posts
If you speak to Flyshack shop in llanelli (google) he lives on the Dee nearly and will be able to offer you great advice on the river

·
Registered
168 Posts
A difficult river to score well on unless you put the time in... the car park pegs at Farndon were free but the Parish council put the rights up for sale early this year... I don't know the outcome... having seen the remnants of bbq's and fish bits along the banks of the Dee I've rather given up on the river... there are easier places to catch fish... they release water into the Dee from time to time which kills the fishing stone dead for days... great! It is easier to go bassing in North Wales on the fly!

It probably doesn't help... oh the Holt side of the river requires a Dee Anglers ticket (not available on the bank!).

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmmm, thanks for that David. Doesnt sound that promising. Just wondering as a Plan 'B' if there are any decent lakes around there?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Simon

The only lake I know where you can lure fish(spin) is Llyn Aled on Denbigh moors. It is not too far from Brenig Reservoir where you buy tickets. Have a look at - http://www.fishing.visitwales.com/fisheries/Fishery.aspx?Id=658&regionid=3

It is a very wild place right on top of the moors. I have never fished it but there are pike, perch and roach in it. It may be too far to travel from Farndon. You may be better sussing out some bass fishing on the North Wales coast.

Good luck.

David

PS. There is Alwen reservoir - http://www.hiraethog.org.uk/content.php?nID=2&lID=1 - which is nearer to Brenig. I am not sure if you are allowed to spin. I have a feeling it may be fly only now. At one time the lake was zoned into Fly, Fly and spin, all methods sections. I have had many hours fly fishing and spinning there for trout and perch. Another wild area.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Hi si,i used to have a season ticket on the dee at corwen,slightly upper dee.Big salmon in there but not as much as there used to be but things can change from season to season.Lovely brownies and huge grayling.I was in farndon saturday si cos my sister lives over the bridge in holt,supposed be a beer festival goin on in the local pub garden but the heavy rain stopped that DOH!Anyway mate if ya dont want the freshwater si your only an hour away from bass fishing so ideal base really,cheers daz.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If your up that way. Hope you speak one or two European languages you will need them lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
dee

there are lots of pike on the dee,as well as some chub which will take a lure.also farndon seems to be where the biggest ones live.a few kayak buddies do a fair bit on here for the pike.google" north wales kayak fishing "and look for reports and pictures on fishing the dee,you will find a fair bit of info here.one problem here is that a lot of water is tied up with clubs etc,but if you are afloat there are lots of picturesque stretches that can not be accessed easily on foot, if you get my drift!do however make sure you have a rod licence.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Si, Bala Lake has some huge pike in it - the outflow by the sailing club is apparently a hot spot, also some monster ferox trout in there.
Llyn Bran is another lake up on the denbigh moors along with llyn Aled, Permits for Bran are got from foxons tackle in st asaph and contains a good head of pike quite alot of weed beds there - very wild lake, more sheltered than Aled. Llyn Aled permits are got from Llyn Brenig visitor centre, Its very exposed up there but meant to be some good fish there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts