The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well many of us will fish in areas with river mouths and tidal rivers. We know bass love to run these tidal sections to take advantage of the various food sources available there.
So how do we go about fishing for the bass in tidal rivers??
Generally I have had more success fishing WITH the current than against it. Cast upstream and retrieve just fast enough to impart some action. Works with plugs and surface lures.
A couple of things on my list to try this year, are the Drift technique. Basically subsurface stickbait dead drifted with just tiny twitches, this might take some practise to get the hang of picking up the slack line at the right speed to stay in contact with the lure. Another thing I want to experiment with is rolled or trotted soft baits.

So how many of the members actively fish tidal river sections for bass?? How do you do it?? and what do you look for??

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'd love to get you on some flowing water and show you the vast possibilities Dave.

Working with the current is one of our 'golden' rules but...

Swinging can also be über productive in many various formats.

Dead drifting, bottom bouncing, liesenring, induced take, working the dangle....loads of stuff.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't thought about it, but I guess fishing tidal rivers is just a bigger version of what you do when fishing the gutters in Jersey. Penny drops all of a sudden.
I have tried down and across, swinging the lure using the water pressure. But I have had VERY limited results-a couple of small schoolies to be precise.
Dead Drifting does interest me, a very successful way to catch trout. And I have taken bass on fly tackle with this technique. But fly patterns have some much more "action" on the drift, materials like marabou or bunny strip "breathe" even on a dead drift. My problem is how to reproduce that with hard or soft lures.
Induced take is something again I know from trout fly fishing, I think using a soft plastic on a jighead with a step and hold technique should allow me to work alot of the river.
I will be out working of this form of fishing as much as possible this year, I know there are alot of decent fish running the rivers in my area. So fingers crossed it could prove successful.
If I fail, looks like a booking or two for the Jersey Guides,.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Marc,
Lots of useful information in that thread- I have read and re-read some of those comments, as you say excellent advice.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
If I fail, looks like a booking or two for the Jersey Guides,.
You know you are always welcome and I have so much stuff to share. What people see on these forums doesn't even make 10% of what 1 day/night on the water would teach you. Fish or not.
And now, with the LRF/HRF stuff, we can fish 24/7 irrespective of time and tide. How long can you stay awake ?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keith,
Totally agree, time on the water is worth so much more than even the very best written advice. Even just the chance to watch someone fish who knows what they are doing can reveal so much if you pay attention. Some things like touch/feel are so hard to describe, and yet sometimes can be taught in minutes, with hands on experience.
As for how long can I fish-did 72 hours straight at the Derby one year, albies and blues all day and stripers all night-stopped because I started to hear voices!!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
ha, light weight dave, we did 76-77 hrs last time in the vineyard, almost crashed the fu***ng car when kept falling at sleep at the wheel, only woke up as the car come of the road and was running along the rough coming back from menemsha, did check the next morning incase i took out a sh*t load of mail boxes, never again will i drive after that long fishing, odd place that menemsha, cause the year earlier had a close call when a stag come clean out the forest right infront of the car in the early hours after a night's fishing.

kev

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kevin,
Funny how you can keep going when there is fish around, but the moment you stop. It hits you like a freight train. The trouble is out there, there is just so many fish to catch.

Keith,
What the hearing voices bit????

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Dockside Dinner's (in Edgartown) all night coffee during the Derby has kept me fishing many times. Fantastic place to meet and chat to the hard core striper guys-just don't exspect them to tell you where they fish!! Coffee in hand it can be a laugh to catch tinker mackerel, fluke, and squid off the dock too.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Dave, I have one specific estuary on my patch I know has good bass running in and out but we have yet to get the hang of it. Big sand bar with narrow channel for the river. This year it is high on my hit list. So far I have mainly tried the ebb, but this year I hope to get some help/advice and get some fish sorted. A local (bass) guide assures me it can be a killer spot especially on the fly...

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tim,
Funny enough the ebb seems to be better here as well, the bass take up positions and allow the bait to drift towards them. I have seen them smash stuff off the top. Look for areas where there is an edge between flowing and slack water. Or rocks or any structure that the bass can tuck in behind and avoid the main current. Work the lure close to the fish holding areas and you should find them.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Cheers, Dave. More work needed on this but I know when we suss it, it will be terrific.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hope so Tim,
One reason I am so interested in the rivers this year, is they don't receive any pressure. No nets etc. I know of a few very good fish being taken. Won't be easy as there is a hell of a flow in our local rivers-but it should prove interesting.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hope so Tim,
One reason I am so interested in the rivers this year, is they don't receive any pressure. No nets etc. I know of a few very good fish being taken. Won't be easy as there is a hell of a flow in our local rivers-but it should prove interesting.
Dave, not sure where you go but I have seen some good fish caught at the mouth of the Arun, and the flow there is immense! Also think the Rother at Camber Sands could be interesting. The Estuary I am thinking of is a big system with sand only, no rocks or solid structure just sand bars...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Dave, not sure where you go but I have seen some good fish caught at the mouth of the Arun, and the flow there is immense! Also think the Rother at Camber Sands could be interesting. The Estuary I am thinking of is a big system with sand only, no rocks or solid structure just sand bars...
Tim you wanna get an xlayer on a light jig head and bounce it in the channels on the ebb (the bass will sit off on the points or behind a bar if it breaks the current waiting for the wash out)

bottle necks are good places to fish as the foods concentrated and there are often hollows or calm points where the bass will conserve energy while waiting for dinner.

i know of a similar mark that fishes very well on toppers swung over very fast water - apparently you get the fish making half a dozen mad attacks as the things so damn fast in the water (very frustrating if you aint getting hookups lol)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well was up and out before dawn this morning, checking out local rivers. The closest to me has been straightened and dregded to hell. So mental fast flow on the drop, and almost no features on the 3 miles I walked.
However just been out and looked at another river, that I have fished in the past for sea-trout (caught a few bass while flyfishing for the sea-trout so I know they are there), looks much better, loads of bend, drops in the bottom, bottlenecks, undercut banks and some large rocks on the bottom that break up the flow. So I think I have a new venue for this summer. Oh and even better, meet a couple of guys who were setting up their crab traps for the first time this year. They had found a couple of peelers on the river in the last couple of days. Spring is coming guys-honest.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts