The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a decision at the beguining of the year not to buy any bait and only use lures.Having only caught mackerel so far this year, went with steve Arries of this forum to a local mark to catch some pollack.Steve was wading off the beach fishing with plugs and I was fishing S.Ps off the rocks.I recieved some rockvibes and cone heads from **** fishy jersey during the week so I rigged one weedless and cast into a gully.Half way back bang fish on, xxxx not enough drag and fish dives for cover, couldn't shift it and line snaps at hook knot.Second cast smaller fish this time soon up to the surface - my first ever wrasse just over a pound.Fifth cast bigger fish on again dives for cover and eventually line snaps again at hook knot.

What leader should I be using for this style of fishing and what can I put between hook and cone head to protect the knot?

After these losses moved to a little beach and had 3 pollack on the rockvibes and one on a komomo II.Steve had a schoolie and 7 pollack all on plugs.sorry no pictures but every thing went back.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
What leader were you using? What lb? Are you using braid or mono?

I would use a flouro leader if similar strength to your mainline unless it's really rocky. You often need to give the wrasse some serious stick to get them into clear water.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mainline was 10lb power pro and i was using about 4ft of 15lb mono as a leader - not ideal i know but i think it was the cone head pinching on the hook eye that broke the knot.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
That's quite light for rough ground really but should be OK with care, you could step up to 20lb leader with the rougher ground as a better rubbing leader, the 10lb power pro is very thin and light, are you sure it's 10lb? The packages in europe are not correctly marked. What is the diameter e.g. 0.13mm etc. Use a small bead inbetween the weight and hook to protect the knot maybe if you think it's the knot going. Are you using a uni knot or something else at the hook?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Braid diameter is 0.15mm and knot used was a 5 turn blood knot with about 4mm of tag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts