1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
oooh, nice find, Ben. Any idea how much they will be, ****?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They sell for about £130ish mate.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
HRF:

maybe not man enough for a really big Wrasse but, it might be. Too early to tell.

Savage Bushwacker 7ft 10g -30g

Actually, armed with 8lb braid and 4g plus 2-3" plastic you get enough feel to detect on the drop takes in less than ideal conditions.
Obviously, not going to be much sport with smaller fish but, 1lb plus Pollack go really well on the rod.

So, 1'd say it's closer to 5g - 25g based on my short test. It has moderate to powerful lifting and stopping power too.

At the price, the rod is worth considering as your starting HRF rod.

Light in the hand, easy on the wallet and ticks boxes other rods don't seem too.

Good length for jig fishing too.

Cormoran's ULX, ULF for LRF fishing.

TR4 seems middle of the road, neither light nor hard rockfish designated but, a good lets try this stuff rod.

Searching for others...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That's good to hear, Keith as the 7' 10-30g Bushie is my lads "lighter" outfit. We are trying for wrasse later today on a variety of SPs and jigheads, so if we catch I'll let you know how it performs!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
There are also the likes of the shimano speedmaster and beastmaster dropshot rods both take between 3 and 28g and both are available already from at least one place in the uk. HRF there are quite a few options already I think. It's the LRF stuff that's harder to find.

HRF (Heavy Rock Fish):

Beastmaster: http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/tackles...1/shimano_beastmaster_drop_shot_spinning_rods
Speedmaster: http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/tackles...l1/shimano_speedmaster_dropshot_spinning_rods

LFT (Light Rock Fish):

Diaflash Super Sensitive (**** to be getting them in soon hopefully): http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/tackles...430/cl1/shimano_diaflash_super_sensitive_spin

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I would just like to add something here..

Be careful, especially with LRF rods and light jig heads.

consider the line ratings too.

We are all still fishing too heavy LRF.

I'm down to 0.6 PE i suppose but, the new rod on order is rated 1 - 5lb

Another thing worth considering is, not all jig rods are equal. Some are just better.

Of course, no one here (i think) has the vast library of knowledge on rods, head weight and feel.
Recognise though that unlike plugging, fish don't hook themselves anywhere near so often.

Maintaining contact as the jig and soft lure falls is where, IME and perhaps globally in soft lure fishing nations is paramount.
All you might feel is a tiny bump. The better rod reel/line combo's will let you feel that. Obviously, the better the rod, the better the feel.

So I guess we are on a bit of a serious learning curve guys.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I agree. Most of the proper LRF rods are rated to a maximum of 5lb line, a lot are only rated to 3lb. Despite that in Japan they will use braid up to about 6lb or more. If we had access to them, there are braids out there rated at 0.3PE with is realistically stupidly thin and way overkill for what we are likely to need. Not only that but they are seriously expensive. Like you have said before mono or flourocarbon may be a better option when we find out more.
Even within LRF fishing some rods have solid carbon tips, some hollow. I would hazard a guess that the solid ones are to feel for bites using SP baits or similar while the hollow ones are to use more with tiny plugs and metal casting jigs.
The rod I use has a solid carbon tip and the bite detection is freaky, it is so good. And that is not even a proper LRF rod but a finesse bass rod.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thats the discussion that I was having with myself last night Mike, and why I highlighted the Diaflash rod above - because it is one of very, very few I've seen in the UK with a solid tip, and stats to match that of some quite expensive, 'official' LRF versions.

I was getting twitchy and almost started ordering a couple of Graphiteleader LRF rods - one solid, one tubular (for soft and hard lures respectively).

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
good post Mike.

I've ordered a solid tip. I figured that would be right for soft lures, light jig heads.

Me and Kev are drawing the line at PE 0.4 @ 6lb for now with our LRF kit.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Thats the discussion that I was having with myself last night Mike, and why I highlighted the Diaflash rod above - because it is one of very, very few I've seen in the UK with a solid tip, and stats to match that of some quite expensive, 'official' LRF versions.

I was getting twitchy and almost started ordering a couple of Graphiteleader LRF rods - one solid, one tubular (for soft and hard lures respectively).
I know what you mean, I am desperate to get a 'proper' LRF rod!!!!!

Where did you see the Graphiteleader ones?

I have a magazine here that has a review of LRF tackle in it including quite a few rods, reels and different lures. Only problem is that it is in Japanese so I can't even read the manufacturer's name!!!! AARRGGHH!!!!! I will bring anything useful to Nantes so people can have a 'read'.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
There are a couple in here if you can find them: http://www.umiduri.jp/index.php?m=english

I don't think they had the exact ones I'd like on the site, but I'm sure they'd have no problem getting them if I asked.

I WANT(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) 2 of these: http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/en/g/movie/finezza_t.html

They are a bit expensive though just as trial rods while we get used to this type of fishing. While the right kind of gear would make the fishing easier and probably increase the steepness of the lurning curve, I had to stop myself and be sensible - which is also why I started looking at the Shimano Diaflash.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
They look very nice.
I have a bit of an advantage in some respects. I fished for bream, flathead, silver trevally etc on soft plastics in Australia so already know what I want from a rod. Finding one by looking at magazines, catalogues and websites is still hit and miss though. Not to mention expensive if you get it wrong. I just wish I had brought more kit back with me.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What DO you want from a LRF rod Mike, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm thinking that for the proper light stuff I'm after a very lightweight rod (90-100g), casting between 1g and 5g, solid tip for extra fast action. Length... I'm tempted by the slightly longer rods just because that with the LRF ground around here, I'm always likely to be standing a fair way off the water - so the extra length will be useful in the wind, and allow a little more reach. The Graphiteleader versions above go to about 8'6 or 9' while maintaining the light line/casting weights so I do think one of those will allow more control than a shorter rod. It just may sacrifice a tiny bit of feel. The solid tip however should maintain a more than manageable amount. I'll probably opt for 8-8'6" though as a good allrounder. If I had the venues to be closer to the water then I'd be looking more at 7'-7'6" versions?!

What are you after, or what do you own as your ideal?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Longer rods make your wrist ache Ben.
You can overwork the soft lures too.

We are steadily settling into the 7 - 8ft range.

Easier to maintain that optimal angle with a shorter, lighter rod too.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I can see the wrist ache concern. Soft bait rod I'd happily go 8' (or less if height above the water wasn't such an issue), but it's only really with the tubular hard bait rod that I'd perhaps happily think about 9'. These rods to weigh less than 100g remember, even at 9 feet.

Luckily I have the soft touch of an angel too, so should be ok :wink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bushwhacker XNLT

HRF:

maybe not man enough for a really big Wrasse but, it might be. Too early to tell.

Savage Bushwacker 7ft 10g -30g

Actually, armed with 8lb braid and 4g plus 2-3" plastic you get enough feel to detect on the drop takes in less than ideal conditions.
Obviously, not going to be much sport with smaller fish but, 1lb plus Pollack go really well on the rod.

So, 1'd say it's closer to 5g - 25g based on my short test. It has moderate to powerful lifting and stopping power too.

At the price, the rod is worth considering as your starting HRF rod.

Light in the hand, easy on the wallet and ticks boxes other rods don't seem too.
Interesting stuff this rockfishing! Best read throughout this winter for me! Quite exciting thought: catching pollack, pouting, whiting, and the like, with soft lures instead of the usual natural bait, with much lighter gear and much, much more fun. Will give it a try in Holland. Was thinking of the (new) Bushwhacker XNLT: 7.6 (228), 3-18 grams casting weight, weighting only 115 grams, for HRF purposes with a 2000 reel mounted on it.

Here's a link:

http://www.alfos-peche.com/savagear-sg-bushwhacker-xnlt-2797.html

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 56 Posts