The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a post I made on another thread, and I think it deserves its own thread. I realise sp fishing can be from 1g to what ever, but what is the best action to be looking for in a rod especially for the task?

"A very topical train of thought has arisen from this thread, and I have been wanting to start a thead on it for a while. Basically I get alot of phone calls every week from people wanting a sp rod, and they are asking me for my advice on whet they need. I am no expert on sp rods because

1) I havent been using sp's that long and am still struggling to know exactly hat it is I am supposed to be donig/feeling

2) I really dont know of a rod on the market that is marketed as a sp rod, well not one that covers the range that the general shore angler requires.

3) Some people like a fast action rod for sp work and some people (me) like a medium-fast action, almost parabolic, with loads of backbone but a sensetive tip a bit like a drop shot rod)

I am thinking there is probably two styles people like, maybe more if you take in fishing on the drop....?"

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I too am no expert **** but my finding so far is a preference for a fast action rod with a soft tip but not necessarily a fast taper. Super mix is too tapered for me and I've said it before I reckon a cracking rod would be a rod bar (lower) and a super mix (upper). Just to note I tend not to use heavy SP's so I'm on the lighter lures mostly. Maybe something more parabolic would be suitable for heavier lures?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Haven't been using xlayers for long but have found that i've had more success using a fast action tip with 5 - 7g heads. I tried a medium at first. I still have a lot to learn though!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Whchever action you prefer (and we will never all agree) the best rod IMHO is one with a long tip with the ferrule at the top of the butt (like the Injection or the Bulldog EVO II).

A much better feel for the lure and becoming more common as preferences for rod length change to shorter rods.

However once the market is saturated in a couple of years will the high end Jap companies go "long" again? ;-)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I don't fish soft plastics as much as some and most of my experience is at the LRF end of the spectrum. In my view (everybody is entitled to one!) two of the most important things in SP fishing are presentation and bite detection. You need to be able to 'feel' what the lure is doing and then feel what the fish is doing to the lure. Sometimes it doesn't matter and you can do what you like, in that situation a SP rod is irrelevant as you can use anything. A rare occurence.
The rod needs to be able to feel the jighead or lure, whether is is medium fast, fast or very fast I believe is down to personal taste. One piece seems to transfer vibration/feeling better than jointed rods but the better the quality of the blank, the less you tend to lose in 'transmission'. If the blank does not transmit the sensations coming through the line then it is not working.
Some of the finesse/LRF and even HRF rods have solid tips, this is purely to improve 'feel'.
After that you need enough power to land the fish you are targetting and cast the lure, it needs to be well balanced, have the correct type, size and number of rings etc etc. Handle design is important as you can lose a lot of sensation through having a 'dead' handle design. Exposed blanks make a difference.
Look to the JDM market they have it sorted.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I haven't much experience with different rods using SP's, but I have borrowed an injection and a teklon concept spin. I've also used a 1010 Pro. My favourite, though, is my own rod, a sakura shukan. Its just right, its not floppy like the 1010, its not too heavy; the first two just feel too heavy compared to it. I suppose it may be just a matter of confidence, but with the shukan I feel I can work the lure exactly the way I want it.

·
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is of course down to what lures you are generally using I suppose, Pat says the Shukan is perfect, but I prefer the Mix than the Shukan, but I do use the Mix way way more than I ever did a Shukan....

It is early days for us in this market, and we need to find the right tools.

I have some Cormoran 2.6m solid tip rods, they are beautiful and the feel from them would be amazing, I am tempted to have a go with one from the boat or shore for the wrasse. I think the Saint has one, I must ask him tomorrow.

I think a range of rods, inc a couple of solid tips, would be very handy as a shop keeper to point people towards. I remember Vidar telling me about fast action rods and medium action for sp work, but I cant remember everything about the conversation, be prepared for a long chat Vidar in Weymouth :) I'll buy the beer.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Don't you think this topic is as broad as Mike's holy grail rod? Each type and size of SP will require a different set up so if you do ask the questions of Vidar **** then take notes ;)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Hard question and how long is a piece of string!!

I prefer a softish tip and loads of backbone. Soft (but not too soft or you can set the hook) tip really helps to feel what's going on, you lose less lures and fish closer to the rocks (HRF) if you can feel whether the jig head is hitting hard rocks, soft weed or sand, you can tell with the Infeet at least. I can't feel a thing with the Shukan or Rocksweeper but the Illex vale Tudo has great feel for that sort of thing as well albeit with much heavier jig heads than the 7g I always go to for HRF.

The backbone and action is for casting and bullying wrasse out of their homes.

The Salty Shot I have is even better for feeling that sort of thing but then it's really light.

In saying all that, I have no idea how to explain the action of a rod so that might all be rusbbish and I don't have a soft tip at all (oo err). You'll have to have a feel of my rods next month **** and see if you can turn what I am saying into proper words!!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have some Cormoran 2.6m solid tip rods, they are beautiful and the feel from them would be amazing, I am tempted to have a go with one from the boat or shore for the wrasse. I think the Saint has one, I must ask him tomorrow [....] be prepared for a long chat Vidar in Weymouth :) I'll buy the beer.

Yes I do and it is lovely. Lives behind the bulkhead of my Landrover as my go to light SP rod off the shore. Mine's a Guinness BTW.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have tried my Shukan for HRF etc, and I dont like it for that at all. It feels like a broom handle touch wise. I still love my 7ft Bushwhacker, its like a wand, and lets me read the bottom like a book when bumping SP's. I'd like an exposed blank on the handle, like the Shimano dropshot rod you had ****. I suppose I could try and cut off some of the front handle...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I split soft plastics rods into two groups, each of them better suited for different angling applications.

The first one is horizontal retrieve i.e. bottom bouncing and/or a straighter retrieve with paddle-tail shads where I prefer a very fast action rod with a softish sensitive tip that greatly helps me to diversify between structure, weed and bites. However, when horizontally fishing jerkbaits such as Super Fluke’s I believe a stiffer tip offers a clear advantage.

For vertical applications I still much prefer a very fast action rod but I want the tip to be stiffer as I find it easier to feel the very essential bottom. For me the only exception would here be a drop shot rod where I find the slightly softer tip assist with the all important lure movement, but avoid moving the weight.

For pure sensitivity and ability to let you know what is going on under the water surface nothing beats a one-piece rod or rods that similarly to the Injection are split at the handle.

So to summarise, if you have a fast action rod with a softish tip and a fast action rod with a somewhat stiffer tip you will cover 99% of soft plastics fishing.

·
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has any one tried a winkle picker? I had one years ago I think, or it my have been a light feeder rod, but from what I remember it may have been good for HRF?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
You might be right ****, but I think they'll most likely be too soft through the rod blank. Coarse rods aren't very often designed with fast actions, apart from those meant for stick floats. The top 2 sections of a 13' stick rod would probably make an insanely good LRF rod though!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Not sure a wand or winklepicker would work for HRF, they were normally at the LRF end of the spectrum. They were designed for hard days in the Winter fishing close in down the edge or fishing canals, drains etc. A lot of them also used glass blanks and they were designed for 'sight fishing' mainly where you would watch the tip. I doubt they would transmit much feel through the blank for bite detection. If you could find a nice 'sharp' carbon one it might be a good LRF rod though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts