The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was wondering if anyone would have some advice for me, my rod is rated for 20-60g i take it this is a little heavy for the majority of plugs, but as being a student i dont have the funds to get a new rod so its work with what i got......so any suggestions help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
It's a Gnats-Nadger on the heavy side Kev with a lower rating of 20g, however, there are loads of plugs around the 20g range, and most rods will cast lures lighter than their rating - it's just not optimum (perhaps?). If you stick with lures over around 15g (of which there are many), that rod will serve you well. Just get out there & fish :D

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hey Kev, it may depend a bit on the length of the rod, but you should find that a rod with that rating will cast most 'normal' bass plugs. If it's ok with lures around 20g (or over about 15 or 16g really) then you shouldn't have any problems. Being a student you obvioulsy won't be wanting to spend top dollar, but luckily there are plenty of more affordable lures out there. Mid price, but if you look around, things like the 12 and 14cm Rapala X-Rap's will be easy enough to cast. The Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow weights over 30g and should catch fish very well, especially later in the year. They're quality lures for £8 or £9. Struggling to think of more off the top of my head at the moment but there are plenty of very good sub £10 lures out there that will be both castable and affordable.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not that i am looking for heavy lures just good ones that will cast well and catch fish thanks for the replies lads, as always great advice.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that il put a bid on they look great and good price too thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya i saw those but seeing that its ireland it'll probably still be cheaper from the us :( but il wait and see thanks for reminding me about them :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts