The Lure Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying a rod for soft plastics and was just wondering what people recommend i will be fishing mainly for bass on rocky weedy marks. I have a budget of around £100. I have heard good things about the bushwackers. Any help on length and models would be great.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Thinking of buying a rod for soft plastics and was just wondering what people recommend i will be fishing mainly for bass on rocky weedy marks. I have a budget of around £100. I have heard good things about the bushwackers. Any help on length and models would be great.
A few of the guys (and my wife) use the 7' 10-30gm model. It certainly falls well within your budget and if you're fishing larger sp's it seems one of the best so far for the money. Although it says 10-30gm, it does feel more like 7-28gm in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
A few of the guys (and my wife) use the 7' 10-30gm model. It certainly falls well within your budget and if you're fishing larger sp's it seems one of the best so far for the money. Although it says 10-30gm, it does feel more like 7-28gm in my opinion.
I also have one of the BW 7ft 10-30g. It only cost me £30 new from an auction site!!! I bought it for playing with SP's for the Wrasse primarily. I often drop below 10g and have not noticed any marked loss in indication. They are cheap, have good sensitive tips, have power down under and um, are cheap! They will also be a more than capable plugging rod should the need arise.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yes, IME the bushwacker reads well with 7g + lure which is most likely around the designated 10g anyway.

They are very good HRF rods for mid/upper sized jigs/lures.

Very crisp too and imho, better than some rods twice the price for feel.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I've got an old version 8'6" 'Wacker which I was out with today. TBH, after having been using the Firefly for a while it felt like a piece of 2 by 2 for a while! That said, once I'd got re-used to it, they are a pleasure to play with. Easily handled a 5g jighead and little worm, maybe 8g total. It'll easily chuck a big sluggo too, about 30g. Sorry, I've no experience with the new models.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If it's for the Bushwacker, my wife has tried a shimano aspire 4000 and a shimano GT-RB 4000 on hers and they both feel fine. I understand the rarenium is lighter than either of those, but I'm sure it would be fine.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I am using a rarenium 3000 on a rod rated to 28g. It is lovely. The only thing I would say is that the retrieve rate of a 4000 is noticeably different to a 3000, if that is a consideration for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.