Rod Length | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Rod Length

Discussion in 'Tackle & Tips' started by {name}, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Sandeel

What are the pros and cons of various rod lengths?

Ie why get a 9ft over an 8ft for example. From a coarse fishing background I'd assume it's just for longer casts and better control?

2. Pollock

Yep. You assume correct.

3. Salmon

Have gone full spectrum, from 6ft up to 11ft and all in between, I prefer 9ft+ rods for my fishing now. It's because of the distance I can achieve if required, and also control of soft lures and fish. It's often very rocky / snaggy close in, so the extra length is welcome. If I waded more, I'd use my 7ft rods. I also prefer shorter rods for surface lures, it's a bit easier working them than on a long rod.

4. Pollock Supporting Member

On your canals I'd use shorter (8' and under). When you are on the Trent, with higher banks and lots of bankside vegetation, I'd use 8/9' for more control when I got fish in close. Another part of the equation......those huge lures you're talking about will be easier to cast on shorter rods......you'd have to be a body builder to lever them out on longer rods!

5. Sandeel

"those huge lures you're talking about will be easier to cast on shorter rods......you'd have to be a body builder to lever them out on longer rods!"

Oh, I thought it was going to be the opposite :redface:

I'm deciding on a rod just for the Trent and bigger lures. My current rod is up to 60g 8ft rod.

I'm going Sunday morning and my friend will be bringing his new SG MPP 9ft rod rated up to 170g. I'll have a go with that and maybe get the same one after all if it's any good.

6. Pollock Supporting Member

If you want to quote Mike, just highlight the bit, and it will give you a reply option...........up to 170 should cover anything you have to cast in British rivers. Dont forget heavy sinks, and those big lures are expensive to lose. Biggest I've used on rivers 8" Jakes...........about 80 grammes. I've used heavier on resevoirs from a boat, but there's fewer snags!

7. Sandeel

I do know how to quote it's just that I'd already typed out my post first :D

• Funny Funny x 1