The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting in to the realms of being totally overboard for some, but when you start using lighter rods they do inevitably become more fragile. Travelling with them becomes more of a cautious affair, and that multiplies if you start using more than 1 rod (heavy and light, long and short etc...). For those that are interested or don't know too much about what's actually out there, the coarse side is the place to look (in the UK at least).

Companies like Garbolino, Preston Innovations, Shimano, Maver etc etc all make hardcase rod holdalls that are designed to carry generally one or two fully hade up rods. These are absolutely perfect for protecting and carrying a couple of light rods out to the harbour or rocks without worrying about dropping them or knocking them on the rocks. And also for keeping them protected in the car.

I'd imagine that none of the zips are going to be 100% in the salt air, but I don't think there are many around yet that will be 100% perfect. Have seen some lovely ones in Japan, but even there I'd imagine they'd cost £hundreds.

Here are a couple of links to some of the best ones in the UK. I've used the likes of the Garbolino ones in the past. If you have a Cormoran dealer closeby, they've recently started doing some very decent ones too.

Garbolino: Squad Max Rigid

Shimano: Japan Version, Aspire Pro

Preston Innovations: Single/Double Rod Holdall

There are lots, lots more available too, but these ones are from particularly good companies in the UK. If you look in to Europe you will find good ones from Daiwa too (click here).

There are plenty of 'soft' versions available as well that although offer easier carrying when using multiple rods, don't pretect the rods so much. You can actually pick these up quite cheap, from about £10. I'd recommend the 'hardcase' type ones though if you want better protection.

Also bear in mind that a lot of what is available here may be too long for what you need. If you think about buying one to make carrying light rods easier, try and find one less that say, 160cm as this itself will be way longer than you're likely to need. 140cm will more than suffice in most cases and allow you to get 2 piece rods up to 9' safely in there.

Worth buying if you start feeling the need to carry more than 1. :|

Reactions: Tim Murphy

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hmm, whats wrong with a length of drainage pipe Ben? Cheap, cheerful and looks more 'hardcore' ;)
Can you carry 2 made up rods in a length of drainpipe Si? How much does that weigh then? ;-)

These are equally as much about transport as they are protection.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Can you carry 2 made up rods in a length of drainpipe Si? How much does that weigh then? ;-)

These are equally as much about transport as they are protection.
Two lightweight baitcasters, back to back, fit into an 8" dia pipe with some spare..........simple shoulder strap from an old boardbag and your away. Personally, I don't bother with a rod tube when out and about the rocks as its another thing to swing around and throw you off balance when you least expect it; but I guess you'd be ok with your rods in a nice tube when walking along the tarmac footpath from the carpark to your local pier?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe. Can see what you're sayin but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on our preferences. It's all ok if you have a suitable length of 8" drainpipe and a spare boardstrap lying around, but if you have to spend money on either, you're not gonna be spending much less than a ready made, lightweight job. Drainpipe like that isn't as cheap as it sounds, plus it weighs way too much for my skeletal frame.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hehe. Can see what you're sayin but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on our preferences. It's all ok if you have a suitable length of 8" drainpipe and a spare boardstrap lying around, but if you have to spend money on either, you're not gonna be spending much less than a ready made, lightweight job. Drainpipe like that isn't as cheap as it sounds, plus it weighs way too much for my skeletal frame.
True enough Ben, but it'll last years longer than a 'purpose made' jobbie. BTW, we end up skipping loads of drainage off-cuts........nowt cheaper than free old boy!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't argue with that mate.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Just ordered my one. Its a hard case that carries two made up rods. Its just over 125cm long, so will be able to choose between my new plugging rod, my HRF and my LRF rods. Or even a fly rod. I didnt want one that carries any more as dont want to go over the top.

I will definately make use of it, as have been doing so much clambering over rocks, sliding down slopes etc, let alone seeing Keith diving headlong down drops! It wont be used everytime, but for when I envisage some harder scrambles, it'll come.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Companies like Garbolino, Preston Innovations, Shimano, Maver etc etc all make hardcase rod holdalls that are designed to carry generally one or two fully hade up rods. :|
Thanks for this post, potentially very useful, being a freshwater virgin I've not come across this sort of stuff.

When you say erm.. made up rods (or is hade a coarse fishing term???) does this mean rod(s) and attached reel fit in the case,? judging by the links that's the idea.

Just ordered my one. Its a hard case that carries two made up rods. Its just over 125cm long, so will be able to choose between my new plugging rod, my HRF and my LRF rods. Or even a fly rod. I didnt want one that carries any more as dont want to go over the top.
What did you decide on Mark? 125 cm sounds the right length for my two little fellas to get snuggled into...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you say erm.. made up rods (or is hade a coarse fishing term???) does this mean rod(s) and attached reel fit in the case,? judging by the links that's the idea.
that's exectly it Tim, and why I don't feel that a drainpipe compares. It's not just about carrying rods, but also being able to carry them fully made up so that you don't have to spend time doing it when you're out fishing.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Yes, 2 made up rods. Personally I take off the lure, leaving the clip on, and fold the rod with the clip wound up to the rod tip. Can put a laccy band round it also. I can then put the two rods straight into the hardcase and sling it over my shoulder, or I think I might attach another strap so I can wear it over both shoulders.

It makes sense when you think you can be carrying two outfits worth a few hundred quid a piece over slippery rocks.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That DAM one looks like pick of the bunch I reckon Mark, with regards to length and build etc. The had one in the shop in St Malo when we were on our way back from Nantes. Liked the look of it. Dare say I'd probably have bought one of those over my Cormoran one if I'd known they existed at the time.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Certainly well worth getting this stuff sorted sooner than later. I reckon the one I got from **** for just over £20 is pretty good but 2 rods in a case won't cut it for LRF. Well, actually, it will, just not for me as I'm carrying 4 rods to LRF marks. 1 X solid on braid, 1 X solid on FC, 1 X Tubular for small lures where more action is imparted on the lure and 1 X metal rod for the little vib baits. That last rod is usually a MRF or HRF rated rod purely for the fact that it activates the lure without the rod bending back into it.

Hopefully, the new hard cormoran case that takes up to 6 rods will be ok.

Where, financially, does a case that is potentially protecting a fortune in rods and reels become too expensive though ?
I'm quite happy for a £100 case to protect say, £1000 worth of gear. Is everyone else though ?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it carries 6 rods then I wouldn't see a problem with paying that much at all Keith. That Cormoran one is lovely, but too big for those of us with only 2 rods. Jealous in a way that they don't make the same one in half the size. When we all start carrying more rods then I'd imagine people will start having to spend money on these types of things. People might laugh at the 'tartishness' of these things right now, but when they try carrying 2 or 3 made-up rods (or more) without a proper case...... they're going to get themselves in trouble.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
People might laugh at the 'tartishness' of these things right now, but when they try carrying 2 or 3 made-up rods (or more) without a proper case...... they're going to get themselves in trouble.
Absolutely. When they go crashing down with multiple rods they'll wish they'd splashed out.
Lets be honest here, we can get rod protection for the cost of a decent plug.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Certainly well worth getting this stuff sorted sooner than later. I reckon the one I got from **** for just over £20 is pretty good but 2 rods in a case won't cut it for LRF. Well, actually, it will, just not for me as I'm carrying 4 rods to LRF marks.
Are you flogging it now Keith??? :p

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
No m8, I'm getting another one.
Shame. **** has these in stock?

[/QUOTE]Acquired another rod today to play with. I'm starting to get a problem with rods like Henry has with plugs.[/QUOTE]

Looks that way, and I was starting to think I'd have to rein the spending in a bit!!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts