The Lure Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an extremely small but nice real, the Shimano Symtre 750 FI

I'm looking for a nice little ultra light rod to go with it.

Something between 6 and 7 foot, ideally casting between 2-10 or 3-15g, LRF stuff, something I can bring along with my normal pluggin gear incase the opportunity arises for some smaller fishy fun.

I don't really want to spend more than £100, 150 at the max so any talk of Injections is futile! :)

Anything spring to mind?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
7' Rookie casting up to about 7g? Played with one in Nantes and it was a beaut! For below £100 I can't see many matching it. Although there is the Cormoran ULX as well in that price range. Neither would let you down.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ben, after the Rookie suggestion I did a bit of digging and found this:
http://www.maxipeche.fr/canne-carnassier-spinning-sakura-rookie-rospin-602-l.html

and

http://www.maxipeche.fr/canne-carnassiers-spinning-rookie-rods-rospin-632-m.html

I'm torn between the two! The 6' one is rated at 2-7g which seems just a tad on the light side and is a bit limiting (or is it?). The 6'3 rod is rate at 5-20 which could be considered a little too heavy but has the advantage of being able to chuck some xlayers with slightly heavier jig heads and maybe the occasional hard lure but is it sensitive enough for drop shot fishing and ultralight lures? I'm guessing it is...

Next question, where can I buy one from? **** CALLING ****!!! :D

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Phone **** and get a Carbo Star either solid (great LRF OTD rod) or a tubular (better for retrieve styles or micro metals).
In fact, you'd get both for well under a £100. Proven rods that are cheap but, you MUST look out for them in transit etc.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Thanks Ben, after the Rookie suggestion I did a bit of digging and found this:
http://www.maxipeche.fr/canne-carnassier-spinning-sakura-rookie-rospin-602-l.html

and

http://www.maxipeche.fr/canne-carnassiers-spinning-rookie-rods-rospin-632-m.html

I'm torn between the two! The 6' one is rated at 2-7g which seems just a tad on the light side and is a bit limiting (or is it?). The 6'3 rod is rate at 5-20 which could be considered a little too heavy but has the advantage of being able to chuck some xlayers with slightly heavier jig heads and maybe the occasional hard lure but is it sensitive enough for drop shot fishing and ultralight lures? I'm guessing it is...

Next question, where can I buy one from? **** CALLING ****!!! :D
The Rookie I'm on about is the 7' Ultra Light (ROS 702 Ultra Light): http://www.pecheur.com/achat-canne-spinning-sakura-rookie-2-brins-26641.html

If the rod has a certain degree of quality, it will have enough power in the butt to land some very decent fish. They've obviously had them to 4lb+ in Jersey, and I've had fish to about 2lb on mine here.

Like keith says though, speak to **** as well as he's the one with a pretty huge range of choice now I think. There are a stack of Cormoran rods coming through now, for all budgets. Like he says, you could probably even 2 pretty decent rods (one light, one ultra light) and have the best of both worlds. Having rods specific to what you want to do will make a big difference, especially with the lighter stuff.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys but I've already caved in :)

Just spoke to **** and ordered the 6' Rookie. I'm a sucker I know but I figured it was the most different from all other rods I have and would be a perfect match for the mini Symetre 750. The reel cost around £70 so I wanted something of equal quality to compliment it

I can use it for perch and chub on the local rivers aswell as LRF stuff.

Cheers ****!

Get those lures online **** and before you know it you'll sell out of those too. ;)

I already have a Supermix, a 4-15g Esox Spinflex and a Teklon Concept Spin so I figured going for the ultra light approach would be best.

Now all I need is the equivalent of a golf caddy who'll carry it all for me so I can get on with fishing.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Its worth a look on Askari for rod cases. I now use one and I carry two made up rods, plus one without reel, and a net. Its worth the investment if you are using expensive rods and intend on fishing HRF/LRF/plugging in the same session, and is easy to sling over your head and across the shoulder.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do ****, cant wait to hit the local rivers for jacks, perch and chub, maybe even the odd brownie or escaped rainbow. I know some of the rivers round here have a few knocking about.

With such a small setup i'll keep it in the car so I can always get some fishing done whenever I get the chance. The wifes gonna hate this, I already stop the car whenever I see a river that looks fishy, if I get a rod out and start fishing she'll get the right hump. :D

What a bonus!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts