The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
That's Rookie the rod, and relative rookie in lure fishing experience me.
I'm in a dilemma about which rod to buy as my first proper plugger; nearly decided on the rookie 8'6'' 15-50g, just a couple of questions...
Mostly use lures 19-28g, lightest 14g, would it cast these lighter lures properly?
Is it likely, as logic seems to tell me, that this rod would cast better from the beach into wind in surf conditions than a slightly shorter, lighter rated rod (10-40g)?
Thanks for your help, I know it's very marginal and down to me. I fish shore only, mostly shingle beaches over muddy sand, and also over chalk reef below cliffs
Mike

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I have a Shukan, and frankly, i dont know how much it differs to the Rookie - i think that it's very similar ??? It's certainly got the power for the scenario that you've described, and has the sensitivity to handle a wide range of lure weights. The only area that i find the Shukan doesnt do well is on s/p's. I've had to buy a different rod to cover the days when i want to use those.

The Shukan is beautifully built though, and is noticeably better than my sons Bushwhacker & the Hiro Bass Fighter that i was using prior to the Shukan (& prior to the misses shutting the boot on it). So if the Rookie is very similar, then i'd say it's a cracking rod, and well worth the money.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I would say the 8ft 6in is a perfect rod for most, if not all shore plugging situations. The 9ft 6in is good if you are wanting to stand in rough places or seas and need a bit of length etc to guide lures around structure.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mike,
Looks like your fishing alot of the same marks that I do,I think the 8'6" Rookie should be a great choice for our area. Also given that Keith has said what a nice rod he thinks it is. I think you can safely say it is a class bit of kit.
I will keep my eyes pealed, if you see me while out plugging, come and say hi.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hi Mike,
I live in Shoreham too so probably fish a lot of the same marks as you do. Most of my fishing is done with rods around the 8ft mark and lures averaging up to around 20gms. I fish a few different rods though dependant on where and what types of bait I am using. Choosing a rod without trying can be difficult sometimes as different manufacturers rods can vary considerably for similar weight ratings. I have never seen a Rookie but the Shukan (which is similar I believe) was ideal for around here most of the time.
We are still working on the wind in your face scenario due to the water colouring up so quickly around here

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Hi Mike,
I live in Shoreham too so probably fish a lot of the same marks as you do. Most of my fishing is done with rods around the 8ft mark and lures averaging up to around 20gms. I fish a few different rods though dependant on where and what types of bait I am using. Choosing a rod without trying can be difficult sometimes as different manufacturers rods can vary considerably for similar weight ratings. I have never seen a Rookie but the Shukan (which is similar I believe) was ideal for around here most of the time.
We are still working on the wind in your face scenario due to the water colouring up so quickly around here
Hi Mike, the Rookie is on a par with a Rod Bar mate.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hi Mike, the Rookie is on a par with a Rod Bar mate.
Cheers ****.

It sounds like a good rod to start with. You might decide once you get used to something like that to get a lighter rod as well. We aren't blessed with the best bass fishing in the world around here and the average size is smaller than in some places.

Mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies fellers, my minds just about made up in favour of the Rookie. We're in a strange situation where the rods we want aren't available locally, buying online feels a lot easier with the advice and opinions of people who use the same stuff.
Now, about those fancy lures...

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Now, about those fancy lures...
Best advice I can give is don't go mad buying lures until you know what you want. Listen to everybody's advice and then work out what works for you. Our locale is generally very shallow so that is important. If Dave or myself are about some time we can show you what works for us.
It is a slippery slope though......

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mike,
let us know what you have got, and if there is anything obvious missing that Saltiga or do well on. We will let you know.
As Saltiga said, mainly shallow runners and surface lures, with a couple of smaller lure for the fry feeders.
three or four lures will get you going, to be honest.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Dave and Mike
My lures, and success so far...
28 g dexter, my 'go to' has caught me numerous schoolies, mackerel and gars
18g and 28g tobys, caught as above on the smaller one but strangely nothing on the larger
skitter pop (14g?) caught my only surface lure fish
maria chase bw, few schoolies including my pb 2.5lb! although this equals a few I've had on bread when mulleting in the harbour
jointed thunderstick, in spite of it's reputation I've never caught on it
saltwate x rap, not used much always feels like it's diving too far and touching bottom
sidewinders, not tried much but I'm comvinced they'll work when I discover where and when
slug gos, again need to work out where and when to use
chug bug, love the casting ability but can't work it properly on my soft spinning rod
Once I've finally decided on the rod (rookie or grauvell teklon) I've a bit of spare budget left and was thinking no more than a patchinko or other walk the dog lure and perhaps a feed shallow, then learn how, where and when to use them properly.
Mike

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Mike,
not a bad selection at all. The Dexters and Tobys are always worth having, great casting lures and effective for mackerel and gars.

I agree with what you say about the X-raps, great lures but due to the very shallow beaches we have they do dive a bit too deep. They work well at times in the harbour though were there is deeper water.

A few lures that I use that are worth looking at are Daiwa Chugger Minnows, quite similar in the way it fishes to a feed shallow, available in two sizes and a reasonable range of colours though not as many as feed shallows. And my 'go to' lure for most of my local fishing are Daiwa Saltiga Minnows. Again avaialble in two sizes and a reasonable range of colours. Both available from Monster Tackle.

Topwaters are not really my speciality, I will get there eventually. I know Dave gets a fair few fish on Heddon Junior Spooks and Zenith Z-Claws, he can advise you more on those.

And sidewinders are definitely worth having. Six inch in either Ivory or bloodhead work well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
saltwate x rap, not used much always feels like it's diving too far and touching bottom
Mike
I would actually encourage doing this. Using a susspending or slow floating plug -- cast retrieve give the rod a quick hard twitch -- feel the bib--vane bang into the sand -- wait (5 to 10 seconds) -- repeat -- repeat -- repaet. The underwater noise of the plug hitting the sub surface can attract fish.

Hope this helps and does not confuse.

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts