The Lure Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought myself a cheap and cheerful 2500 to go on a cheap and cheerful LRF rod (Carbo-Star solid tip).

I wasn't sure at first, but it occurred to me that we can't afford to go too small reel-wise, or we'll lose the retrieve rate that we need for faster running fish like mackerel, snipe and the holy bass. So tonight I took the plunge and loaded it with some nice thin 6lb mono. I usually load a reel on a lightish drag, in an attempt to get an even pressure on the line, and guess what? The drag is a peach and the line lay is good enough to embarrass a £150 reel let alone something a third that price. Not bad my Australian friends, not bad (OK it might come out of Shanghai but who cares!).

It will need a stronger FC leader for the bigger, rougher stuff though. 3lb pollack on a 5g rod anyone?

Mmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mmm - sounds like some good fun on a good budget - let us know how it performs. I guess the rod came from **** but what about the reel?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmm - sounds like some good fun on a good budget - let us know how it performs. I guess the rod came from **** but what about the reel?
Same Tim. Hope to get out over the weekend once the F8s subside.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hope it calms down enough to give it a whirl, Paul. I have scrapped fishing for this weekend - stupid, stupid weather....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Cheers, **** - I'll take a peek. Lots of new gear coming through now - I'd never heard of Rovex!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone have any views on retrieve rates and the suitability of small reels (say 1000) for faster fish like mackerel, snipe etc?

Bear in mind we will be using ULF or LRF rods, light braids/mono and small, lightweight lures, often in a little current, so the fish will not be pinned down by ounces of lead. Anyone who has caught one on the fly will know what I mean.

My current thinking is that 1000 will be too small.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
No, not fished that small yet Paul. Love my 2500 size Shimano exage but not sure I could go much smaller...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Does anyone have any views on retrieve rates and the suitability of small reels (say 1000) for faster fish like mackerel, snipe etc?

Bear in mind we will be using ULF or LRF rods, light braids/mono and small, lightweight lures, often in a little current, so the fish will not be pinned down by ounces of lead. Anyone who has caught one on the fly will know what I mean.

My current thinking is that 1000 will be too small.
Using just braid, a 1000 sized reel might be ok.
I think it's more about the diameter of the spool and the way the line will sit on a tight 1000 sized spool if it's NOT braid.

I reckon 2000 sized minimum for me but, nice priced 1000 and 1500 reels will find a niche I'm sure.
Just don't think it will be 1.5lb mackerel and a 0.5g ST rod. They could spool us in reality especially if we do eventually follow suit with the Japs and have a 2.5lb line class.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts