The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that we discussed this before somewhere at some time . . . but i can't find the thread, and i'm still not clear on the answer . . . so . . . . .

I generally use JB's for my plugs, but they are a nightmare on jig-heads, as they won't open wide-enough. It actually puts me off using s/p's at times (& i don't need much of an excuse). I don't like bending the JB's to accomodate the jig-heads, as that 'must' weaken them.

So, has anyone found a suitable clip that they wouldnt mind telling me about ?

Ta.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I use these Si', they are rosco duo lure clips, i'm not sure if **** sells them but they are great for jig heads,softies and hard lures...

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Simon Lewis said:
[quote="Barry Howlin":2dthzkcb]i just use split rings simple solution

Isnt that fiddly Barry ?[/quote:2dthzkcb]
no just put the split rings on the jig head and then onto the jb same as you would do with a hard lure...

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone come across any other clips that i could consider as an option ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
With really small plugs (less than 50mm) and small soft plastics I am not using a link at all, but am using a Rapala knot.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I found the same problem last year as I usually use those great JB clips too when fishing hard lures.

Its hard to force yourself when the fishings heating up to struggle to try and get a prerigged SP on those JB's. First I would just stick to a few jigheads that had eyes big enough that they would just fit on, then I rigged a few with split rings and eventually asked **** what he had that would be of use and he sent me these which are like the ones in Marks picture,

clips.JPG I cant remember the make of these though. Very strong clips but as has been said would be overkill if fishing the light SP's. Very good though when your starting out like myself and rightly or wrongly like to keep chopping and changing. I know it only takes a few seconds to tye a knot and will give the rapala knot a go this season. When using the knots with ultralights etc do you still use a leader or tye direct to the braid?

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
**** does Flashmer versions of the clips posted by Marc & Andrew. I think they are about £1.50 for 10, so a lot cheaper than JB clips!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered a couple of packets y'day from ****.

btw, Andy, horrid Avatar !!!! :p

·
Registered
949 Posts
Thanks for this thread guys - Has anyone used these:
Copy of Click_8.jpeg
I think it is something called Click8???

or these?
Copy of IllexF8.jpeg
An IllexF8 ??
Names might be wrong - I downloaded em of Pecheaubar a few years ago...in the search for the ultimate clip!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Another vote for the simple loop knot.
Keeps the action perfect.
With a bit of practice you can tie them in seconds.
Only downside is you can go through leader, but then again that keeps you checking it and your Knots.
Cheers Nath

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Si I have now a stockpile of clips from various sources but keep coming back to the Rosco clips. Like you I couldnt get the Softies to sit in the JB clips so Rosco for me. Light and havent let me down, they fit all SP's I have tried. I have lost loads of plugs :-o but never had the clip open.

Monster tackle:

http://www.monstertackle.co.uk/fishinglures/rosco-duo-lock-snaps-990-52.html

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
JB clips Si. Get the clips without the swivel and just thread the jighead on. I can show you in Nantes.

Worked fine for years off the boat until I got fussy (but didn't catch any more without them).

PS I have had various other clips open up on me, notably another flashy french make in Norway on a big coalie.

A good tip I received from Mr M was to use small Gemini trace links on bigger lures, they are very strong.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Simon I use the same ones I use when fishing hard lures. The Illex Hyper 8 size 3

Its a cracking clip. Those small sp jigheads slide on easily. Try em out.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
[QUOTE
or these?
View attachment 3651
An IllexF8 ??
Names might be wrong - I downloaded em of Pecheaubar a few years ago...in the search for the ultimate clip![/QUOTE]
I did try these though i just didnt get on with them gone back tp using either perfection loops or non slip mono loops again now unless small prf then a tucked blood.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have ordered some of these to have a go with. I am too lazy when fishing to tie loop knots, so invariably use clips. Hopefully these might be ok to use with SP's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts