The Lure Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking for awhile , enjoying the high quality repartee and the absence of endless disputes about scarlet rods, guides and who uses what etc. I went to the Nantes show this year and bumped into the Lure Forum contingent. The lads were brilliant and in short order I felt like one of the gang - thanks guys. I'm originally from Durban, South Africa and have lived in the US, UK and more recently in Ireland. I have been fortunate to be able to catch a wide variety of species on lure & fly during my travels. I keep forgetting the total but I think its 60+. I'm a bit of a tackle tart although not in the Vidar class. I am going back home in August and looking forward to doing a bit of this...

Attachments

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Hi and welcome Allsorts, sounds like you might get pumped for a bit of info with that pedigree! We're all dead keen to suss out new methods round here...

·
Registered
519 Posts
hi mate, welcome to the forum, glad you've found it to be a friendly place, you might want to put up some of your internation catch reports or photo's for people to look to at as well if you have some available, something different always makes good reading.

all the best

kev

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hi Rolfe (?), glad you made it back from Nantes in one piece. Welcome to the forum, a very freindly and inquisitive place. Enjoy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys - I'll scan some photos and post them up in the appropriate forums. Mike - Nantes is a must-do isn't it? Can't recommend it highly enough to those who haven't gone.

In the mean time here is a very sporty fish (got this one on my last trip home). I love catching (deerhair poppers are good, also spinner & small poppers/plugs) - they are actually quite similar to Aussie bream in terms of where they fit in the ecosystem - are freshwater fish though. I've got them to nearly 3 lbs and have been destroyed on fly tackle - straight into the reeds, straight stick and 6lb tippet cracked off...

James - that fish was caught by a pro Japanese bass angler somewhere in Japan, the Aussies call them mulloway and we call them kob or salmon. They are definitely doable on SPs & plugs, so long as fished near the bottom. In SA they are caught in sandy gulleys in the surf zone - guys use 2-3oz spoons and literally drag them along the bottom, kicking up sand. SPs are great as well but range is important, need to get it out there a bit. Estuaries and rivers also good and a bit easier. I've not caught one of these yet but plan to do so. On bait they are regularly caught +100lbs, but average maybe 5-15lb.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fair play!

Hi Ben

You did very well - a lot of guys wait a long time for their first kob on a lure! You're bang-on, the fish is a redbreast tilapia, one of two sizeable cichlids in SA - north of SA there is a bigger variety of course. Have you caught any?

I can't wait to get home with all my Japanese kit & plugs and give them a whirl...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Cheers, I worked hard for those Kob. I have caught a couple of Tilapia before when fishing for Tiger fish on the Zambezi at Vic falls up in Zim. I cannot remember what type but do remember the fighting quality. I used my tenryu supermix for the kob - awesome fight and a great tool for the job. However, I did not have so much luck on my relatively modest collection of Japenese plugs, Zonks etc... When you get out there grab a few packs of the 6inch McCarthy paddle tails and some 1/2 oz 5/0 berkely nitro jig heads they did the job very nicely.

Good luck. It is a beautiful country and I love to fish there!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hey Rolfe! Good to have you properly on at last!!! About time!

You'll be needing another (more hardcore) Branzino!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Rolfe! Good to have you properly on at last!!! About time!

You'll be needing another (more hardcore) Branzino!!
Hi Ben

Funny you should say that... one's on the way from Germany - 109ML Surf Game custom - the rod in the ohnibe picture. You still loving those Graphiteleaders? Best kept secret for the money I reckon - I use a 7'2" Vigore for the sea trout.

Keep well

Rolfe

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Haha, good choice! I'd have gone for one those as well. Probably will do if I end up needing something longer.

Loving the Graphiteleaders so far. The Argento is properly proving its worth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts