The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There have been a fair few questions etc on the subject of luggage for lure fishing. I have been through quite a few different types and makes, and am currently quite happy with what I am using - the Sakura Koa. Some people may find it suits them, others may go for something else. This is intended to show what I put in mine, together with some pics to give you a better idea of the product itself, purely for your reference, rather than a full on review.

This is it fully packed and ready to roll. Two smaller pouches at the front, with a larger compartment on the back. You can adjust where the chest pockets sit, lower or higher, and closer together/further apart. It is comfortable when being worn.

The front zippered section of the chest pouch drops down 'fly style' and holds two foam hook pads, secured by velcro. I have taken this out of one of the pockets and store some spools of leader material in there, together with a box of jigheads.

In the main zippered section of the chest pouch, I keep a selection of hard lures. The pouch is made to hold the smaller version of the double sided Sakura lure box. These are very handy, with drainage holes etc so you can just run under a tap after a session. It holds 12 lures. Only criticism is that fat bodied crankbait/vibebait style lures dont fit in. Holds minnow lures, something like Feed Shallow easily though.

Continued in next post....

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Continued from previous post...

In the other chest pouch, I have retained the foam hook pad, and keep pre-rigged SP's I use most regularly, X-Layer on 10g, some LRF stuff on 3.5g etc. This is mainly because I am sometimes quite lazy.

On the front chest pouches, behind the zip down front part and the main section, there is a zipped pocket that I keep some SP packets in, along with a little pair of scales and a Bombarda or two. These are long pockets.

And then there is the other main section, in which I keep all my jigheads, from 2g up to 12.5g (they are actually organised). Also have glass rattles, beads, lead shot, clips etc for dropshot/Carolina rigging, as well as belly weights, tungsten putty. All my bits basically. I couldnt tell you what box this is, but it is about the same size as the smaller Sakura double sided one.

Then we get to the back section. First there is a smaller zip down section in which I keep my weight sling, my Maui Jims, some more packets of SP's and a few other plugs that dont fit into the Sakura lure box, in this case some vib-baits. Its often new plugs that go in here when on trial to see if they can gain access to hard bait box no.1!

Finally, the main section at the back takes my bigger lure box which holds mainly SP lures, along with other bits and pieces and a couple of plugs, some metals etc. This reflects how much more I use SP's nowadays compared to plugs! The box that I use is the one that came in my Rapala slingbag with the sections taken out, it fits nicely. It is made however for the larger double sided lure box made by Sakura, though as I said, I dont take that many plugs with me these days. I have a few other boxes that are not in the pictures, that I swap out depending on what type of fishing I am doing, LRF, HRF, all out plugging. There is also some elasticated webbing on the outside of the back bit, which would suffice to stuff a light waterproof into. I personally clip on a 'cag in a bag' (genius!) to the back, onto the D-Ring.

So that is that basically. You may note from photos of the front pouches, they have a coiled wire thing with a clip on. I find these next to useless and dont use them. In fact I had some scissors on one, tucked into the holster thing, and they kept falling out and springing up and nearly taking my eye out. There are also shallow mesh pockets on the front that I dont use really, I have a B.A.S.S tape in one, but wouldnt trust them to hold much more. The bag is robust, and certainly for the average fisherman (2-3 times per week), will last a decent while - I've had mine for a year now. Keith mentions his is knackered, but he spends more time fishing than I do sleeping! I got my one in France quite a while back, but I understand that **** sells them now (it has almost become a uniform for a lot of us over here!). I am sure there are other places to source them as well, so please dont take this as me trying to push one place. Its very good value. I prefer it to an £80 Fishponds one that I bought a couple of years ago. Please note that as I live in Jersey, I am never far from home, or indeed a shop, so I dont need to take reams of other stuff with me, food, spare reels etc etc. I take a bottle of water in the back section which fits in fine, but if you're someone that likes to have a picnic, this isnt for you, unless you only take one lure!

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone considering purchasing one of these, and if I find anything else in the meantime, I'll let you know.

Cheers

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts