The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they any good ?
Whats the quality like ?

Cant make my mind up between this and going back to a waist pack (sakura).

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Nick you've been sitting on the fence on this one for a while now :shock:

I've got the Fishpond Shooting Star Pack. Steve recently bought the Sakura version from **** - turns out that they are identical, other than the cosmetics. Also the Sakura version is quite a bit cheaper.

So, it's worth factoring the new Sakura Chest & Backpack into the equation. It's got enough room in the front section for the smaller Sakura double-sided lure boxes & for tools, a few packs of s/p's, Jig Heads, etc . . . . The backpack is a cracking size, with a design that will take a hydration pack, and loads of additional gear (more lures :eek:, food, spare clothing, etc . . ). I'd say it's the perfect pack when you are going to be out & about for a good few hours, and need a bit more gear with you. For shorter sessions, the chestpack can be detached & used on it's own (although i havent bothered, as i use my Ultimate Fishing Sling Pack for that).

Build quality seems excellent, and it's very comfortable. A very high quality, robust, convenient pack in my opinion.

As for the Koa, quite a few of the guys have it, so i'll leave it to them to review that.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nick you've been sitting on the fence on this one for a while now :shock:

I've got the Fishpond Shooting Star Pack. Steve recently bought the Sakura version from **** - turns out that they are identical, other than the cosmetics. Also the Sakura version is quite a bit cheaper.

So, it's worth factoring the new Sakura Chest & Backpack into the equation. It's got enough room in the front section for the smaller Sakura double-sided lure boxes & for tools, a few packs of s/p's, Jig Heads, etc . . . . The backpack is a cracking size, with a design that will take a hydration pack, and loads of additional gear (more lures :eek:, food, spare clothing, etc . . ). I'd say it's the perfect pack when you are going to be out & about for a good few hours, and need a bit more gear with you. For shorter sessions, the chestpack can be detached & used on it's own (although i havent bothered, as i use my Ultimate Fishing Sling Pack for that).

Build quality seems excellent, and it's very comfortable. A very high quality, robust, convenient pack in my opinion.

As for the Koa, quite a few of the guys have it, so i'll leave it to them to review that.
Cant make my mind up,and cant find a picture of the ultimate bag anywhere.
I also have to make my mind up about a new rod,probably will be RLSD to replace RB270 but..........................
Am very tempted with the Sakura waist pack as it looks big ish etc.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi Nick,

I may not help your decision making process here but i recently got the Fishpond beavertail backpack http://www.fishpondusa.com/pdfs2009/beavertail-chest-backpack.pdf

The pack is pretty big with so many pockets and room for a drinks bladder.

what I really like about it is that you can detach the waist pack. In the waist pack i keep most of my useful kit which i need easy access to. It also has some nice hoops for attaching my Boga and my cababiner watch http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=60ATpxs

It also only cost £50 from Glasgow Angling, not sure if its still available though.

Cheers

Hywel

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I am fast wearing my Koa out. I reckon it will last 1 season but that is absolutely fine, because it is getting a ton of abuse.

It is a great piece of kit, I ditched the hook pads in the front pockets and put some velcro on the back of small accessory boxes. These hold jigheads. The medium pockets hold line glue and forceps and the large front pockets are the perfect size for Xlayers and other SP packets.

I put some plugs (unlikely to get used) in Sakura tubes in the back with some rarely used SPs and use the tube bag from the waist bag carabinered to the side strap to hold scents, pastes and jellies.

Shimples.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Nick,

I have the Koa. I find the front pockets are great after you position them not to be in the way and you can fit a smaller double sided sakura lure case in each one. However, the back compartment is unnecessarily small which I think is quite a waste on what could have been the perfect back pack.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Nick,

I own both bags, the Koa is fine when fitted properly and is then very comfortable, it has room for the lure trays in both the front pockets and will take the larger tray in the back, I do agree with the comments about there no being enough room in the back pack but it is a good buy overall and should last longer than a season with average use. The Sakura Chest / Back pack is superb and I rate it better than the Koa, more room and removable front pack makes it a bit more versatile, Simon has said above that it looks identical to his, I think it is and quite a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I have the Koa. Not bad but the backpack is too small to be as useful as it could be. The front pouches are also starting to wear on the bottom, not sure how but it's noticeable.

The front pockets are good but I feel it seems to be more fly fishing design with the swing open zips with the spongy things to stick hooks in. They went straight away and I now have some jig heads in plastic zip lock bags in there, softies in the larger front pockets as well as the old fave plugs in BASS design single lure box things. The rear is used for my scales, a small bottle of water and a couple of packs of lesser used softies and the weigh sling. That's all it fits really once the scales are in there but I need them for C&R club bass (if I ever see a bass again).

The Sakura bag described sounds interesting. Will have to have a looksie.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
ok....

The idea of the Koa is a good one.

In practice....

The straps twist, the adjusters slip, the mesh on the outer pockets wears through.
On mine....

Both straps have torn from the top rear and the side strap popped out within weeks.

All the zips still work.

NB:

Climbing with a pack is a PITA. You can't get your body close enough to the rocks to be balanced.
If you wear a utility belt, the pack gets in the way of access.

Now, all this said....

I did overload mine with plastics and jigheads. No more than would fit but, watch the weight and the symmetry of what goes in each pocket.

Would I buy another ?

Yes but, only because I haven't found anything better yet. And, for the money they are just fine.
Upto the hard usage we throw at them....

NO.

Just my thoughts and I appreciate you probably love yours...
I love the 'idea' of mine but sadly, it is flawed in practical use.
They spend more time on the floor than on your back and, that's not just me.

However....

Sakura do have this new pack....
It looks great for all day bumbling.

I'm not sure any current commercial wear would stand up to what we throw at it so please don't think this is a knock at the Koa only.
It isn't.

Work is in progress to find a commercial grade chest pack, waders, boots, belts and clothing in general. No luck yet though..

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Time to go Japanese Keith. Mazume, Pazdesign, Rivalley etc etc.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I have to agree with near all what you say Keith... The front pouches are too bulky when I have what I want for easy access in them. Had a few hairy not able to get close enough to the rock moments myself. The backpack is also too small.

What's the new Sakura bag called?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
If you are referring to the new Sakura Chest & Backpack, then i have the Fishpond equivalent - it suffers from the same problem on rock-climbing, in that the chest-pack prevents you from getting flat against the rocks. For general all-day bumbling though, as has been mentioned - it's top-notch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi does anyone have any pics of the sakura koa lure vest bag or the sakura koa fish trek chest/back pack, with the pockets open? Also can anyone tell me if the lure boxes are included?

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
What's the new Sakura bag called?
Really, I don't know Andy.

**** will know but...
He doesn't have any. Paul B has the only one I've seen. I think it was about £60.
It's more bulky, but it's modular in design.

Looks useful for long missions but will suffer from the chest issue around climbs. The front bit all un-clips though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts