The Lure Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking around for something new and found this waist pack (bum bag) from Sakura.
Anyone got one or seen one ?
I have had lots of bum bags over the years from 'Plano' to 'Sage' and now I'm in my 40s with a smallish tummy I have found the bumbag things hard to keep in the right place etc.
Have been using the Rap sling bag for a couple of years now and just fancy a change.
The Rap sling is typical Rap/Berkely style quality (know what I mean) and as others have commented in the past not to good in the salty stuff.
Have looked at the Sakura 'pack' but dont really want that style,have also looked at Simms and the others from USA.
The Sakura waist pack looks very good in the pictures and those "all important zips" look much better.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nick, did you get one of these in the end as I'm interested in one myself now. Bit fed up with the rapala sling bag now. She's done me proud but I am still carrying too much stuff, especially lures. I want to scale down again and fish a little more like I used to when I first started. Pliers, fluoro, tape, camera, swiss army knife, handful of hard lures, feathers, handful of soft lures and some lure clips. Stuff the priest, stuff the spare spool, stuff the split ring pliers, stuff the sharpening tool, stuff the etc etc etc etc. I'm going old skool!

That sling bag gives me a back ache after a few hours of rock hopping and casting/working lures.

So a purpose designed fishing bum bag would be great for me. Be even greater if it was saltwater proof in some ways and even greater still if it has some sort of loop where by you can stick your rod in it when changing lures rather than all the fannying about I currently do.

So, does Nick/anyone have one of these or know of a fishing bum bag?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nick, did you get one of these in the end as I'm interested in one myself now. Bit fed up with the rapala sling bag now. She's done me proud but I am still carrying too much stuff, especially lures. I want to scale down again and fish a little more like I used to when I first started. Pliers, fluoro, tape, camera, swiss army knife, handful of hard lures, feathers, handful of soft lures and some lure clips. Stuff the priest, stuff the spare spool, stuff the split ring pliers, stuff the sharpening tool, stuff the etc etc etc etc. I'm going old skool!

That sling bag gives me a back ache after a few hours of rock hopping and casting/working lures.

So a purpose designed fishing bum bag would be great for me. Be even greater if it was saltwater proof in some ways and even greater still if it has some sort of loop where by you can stick your rod in it when changing lures rather than all the fannying about I currently do.

So, does Nick/anyone have one of these or know of a fishing bum bag?
Yes mate I did.
Its very good and the zips are good too.
I have modified mine already by stitching a stainless 'D' ring and webbing to the waist strap so I can clip the Boga to it etc.
The only problem I have had is the clip that fixes the 'tube' pack to the main pack is sh*it so I modified it bt re-enforcing it with a cable tie,just to make sure it dosn't come off.
What you dont see in the pictures is that you get a 4 point strap that fixes with strong clips and goes over your shoulders so you can walk around without the waist strap clipped together.
I think the design is very good and the build is pretty good but not in the same class a Simms/Orvis/Fishpond etc.You can get even the larger 14 section Sakura lure boxes in the main compartment,I have a large box and the smaller one in mine.
For a waist pack that you can carry on your back its "very" big.
I like it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so far.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Nick.

Have you seen or compared the Sakura to the Imax one? I've not seen either in the flesh, but it'd be interesting to find out.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
They look good!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That one with the rod holders on it for the spare rod looks great,you used to be able to get them at Tackle Direct in USA.
I have had a big falling out with them so I wouldn't recomend anyone use them.
The Sakura one is Very Very good,but I always end up modifying everthing to suit what I want etc.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on Pack.

Yes mate I did.
Its very good and the zips are good too.
I have modified mine already by stitching a stainless 'D' ring and webbing to the waist strap so I can clip the Boga to it etc.
The only problem I have had is the clip that fixes the 'tube' pack to the main pack is sh*it so I modified it bt re-enforcing it with a cable tie,just to make sure it dosn't come off.
What you dont see in the pictures is that you get a 4 point strap that fixes with strong clips and goes over your shoulders so you can walk around without the waist strap clipped together.
I think the design is very good and the build is pretty good but not in the same class a Simms/Orvis/Fishpond etc.You can get even the larger 14 section Sakura lure boxes in the main compartment,I have a large box and the smaller one in mine.
For a waist pack that you can carry on your back its "very" big.
I like it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so far.
Sadly guys my pack is now falling apart mainly from the inside (lining).
Its done about 26 short sessions and sadly its falling apart.
Normally I would have gone for Simms or Fishpond,Orvis products but I liked the look of this one:sad:.
I really do think you get what you pay for.....................

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I'd of expected more from it really though. I use an Imax and I've been wading with it and taken it out on prob 20 outings and it's looking almost new (corroded clips on zingers). Was thinking of getting a Sakura chest pack, second thoughts now though!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Glad I saw this - I've been looking for a bag around this size and this is one I had been considering. Shame it didn't last better.

·
Banned
792 Posts
anyone ever tried construction tool bag belts in leather or nylon? And did anyone attache camera bags onto this tool belt?

Got these tips from an other board and will have a look for these belts...

Cheers
Thomas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts