The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have booked into the Globe Inn in Frogmore, near Salcombe, for three nights from the 23rd September to the 26th. This gives me two full days fishing.

Because I am on my tod I would like to hone my rather desultory skills from the least lethal rocks I can find that might produce fish. I have been looking at Prawle Point and the Hope stretch of coast on Google and have gleaned some info from the internet.

Hope to Thurlestone and Prawle Point to Langerstone Point look like good possibilities for a womble but are they each worth a days fishing?

I'm not looking for anyone to divulge closely guarded secrets all I would like to do is spend as much time fishing as I can without charging around the coast like a loon in the hope of finding a suitable mark.

Thanks for any help,

Andy B

·
Registered
596 Posts
Andy

I've been down to the South Hams for the last 2 years and will be going again in September, the rocks to the left of Lannacombe beach are well worth a go on a rising tide, I hooked 4 bass in 5 casts in less than 18" of water in one of the gulleys last year, though you need to be aware that it's quite easy to get cut off by the tide.

I also had excellent fun catching bass up to 3½ lbs in one of the small coves between Lannacombe and East Prawle which fished really well in the hour up to high tide most days, I also hooked what I am sure would have been a double from the rocks after casting out into the deeper water at the same cove, but unfortunately after I had finally managed to bring it in to just below my feet I started to try to get down to a lower ledge to land it when it leapt out of the water thrashing from side to side and managed to slip the hook. :sad::sad::sad:

The first year I went I chatted to a local angler on the pebble beach below East Prawle who was in the process of gutting the 3 large mullet he had caught there.

Glen

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Glen, I thought the area looked promising but is is good to hear that someone has caught there. Shame about the one that got away, makes for a good war story though lol.
I'm so looking forward to 2 solid days unadulterated fishing indulgence. That and I'll be staying in a pub, oh how shall I cope.

Thanks again glen

TTFN

Andy B

·
Registered
596 Posts
Andy

I'm down the week before you go, not quite staying in a pub but only a 100 yards or so from the excellent Pig's Nose in East Prawle.

If all goes well hopefully I'll have posted some bumper catch reports to build up your anticipation levels before you set off. :-D:-D:-D

Glen

·
Registered
596 Posts
Andy

Got back Thursday evening from a few days down in the South Hams, fishing was difficult due to very strong westerly winds all week, I only caught one bass (58cm) from the rocks to the left of Lanacombe Beach and a couple of small pollock from the rocks around the Dead Man's Gulley area below East Prawle, my mate Eddie caught five bass, up to 2½lb split between those two areas.

I caught the bass and one of the pollock on a Sebile 110 Magic Swimmer, (fast sinking), both takes were whilst I was letting it sink and it was fluttering down.

Good luck next week.

Glen

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys. So, so sorry about the delay in replying to you all. After meeting up with Andy M at Cley everything went a bit wonky. I have not really had the time to get online and when I have, I have not felt overly sociable (irritable old git). But I am now back to normal speed and am looking forward to getting back into the forum.

Thanks for the offer Nick but I will have my brother in tow. I mentioned my trip to him the other week and he said he'd like to come along. We haven't had much time to talk family stuff over for a while and this is an ideal opportunity.

Cheers for the heads up Glenn. I will be going fairly well armed and hopefully will pull a couple in. Just to be stood on a rock with a rod will be more than enough to be honest. A fish or to will be an added bonus.

I will post a catch report next week.

TTFN

1 - 8 of 8 Posts