The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,any suggestions for a good saltwater reel,i am looking at three shimano's technium fb,stradic fd and twin power all in 4000 size.I fancy a stradic but have been told the bail arm roller bearing gets wrecked by the salt,i thought if reels are washed down after use and a good lube most reels would suffice.Cheers Colin.

·
Registered
66 Posts
salt water reels

hi colin,
theres been a few threads lately regarding reels that are suitable for salt water spinning, and while the shimanos you,ve mentioned have their fans, my advice would be to check out the daiwas as well .there seems to be more and more people using them now and not just the branzinos and etc.
the caldias, bradias and coastals are a few models that are getting really popular.
from my own experience daiwas cope with the salt aswell if not better than shimanos( but this is purely my opionion and others may disagree)

·
Registered
340 Posts
After much deliberation I just got myself a twinpower 4000 - love it and am happy with my decision , balances perfect with my RB270 , casts nice and nice and smooth - also it has a waterproof front drag so that will help with splashes and dunkings.

Havent seen any daiwa's but wont be looking at any reels fo a while now!

Nice price from monsieur la poisson :)

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Colin as Matt says, there is lots of debate about the merits of Daiwas and Shimano etc and they are all probably very good. I use Shimano (Symetre and Rarenium) a lot and have always been happy with them. For a true saltwater reel, you could try looking at the Quantum Cabo. I got one earlier in the year and I am impressed!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Quantum Catalyst Inshore is another just out this year. Comes in just below the Cabo so another sweet saltwater reel!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Quantum Catalyst Inshore is another just out this year. Comes in just below the Cabo so another sweet saltwater reel!
Update: just realised it was you Col who asked the orginal question. In that case, you've already seen the Catalyst. :)

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Hi guys,any suggestions for a good saltwater reel,i am looking at three shimano's technium fb,stradic fd and twin power all in 4000 size.I fancy a stradic but have been told the bail arm roller bearing gets wrecked by the salt,i thought if reels are washed down after use and a good lube most reels would suffice.Cheers Colin.
I run Stradics (5000 size) and these are very popular and fantastic 'saltwater' reels with a worldwide reputation as a saltwater reel.
I wouldnt rate them in the same league as the Branzino but I would reccomend them totally.
I always re-lubricate the line roller on all my reels on a very regular basis.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I run Stradics (5000 size) and these are very popular and fantastic 'saltwater' reels with a worldwide reputation as a saltwater reel.
I wouldnt rate them in the same league as the Branzino but I would reccomend them totally.
I always re-lubricate the line roller on all my reels on a very regular basis.
Nick - what oil/grease do you lubricate the roller with??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts