The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only started saltwater lure fishing this year and have been using a fairly inexpensive Okuma that I bought a couple of years ago for freshwater spinning. I've been rinsing it after every trip and so far it seems to be ok although I've not been hit by any rogue waves yet!
The thing is I'm thinking of a new reel and wondering whether its worth splashing out a ton on a proper saltwater one.

The yorkshireman in me is thinking just get something relatively cheap and replace it every couple of seasons ;-)

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Phil i think its back to the same old 'you get what you pay for' idea. I have been sea fishing with coarse and fly gear for some years and if you are careful with the washing and greasing it does survive reasonably well even if totally immersed but inevitably it wont survive as well as tackle designed specifically for sea fishing. It also comes back to how much you want to spend and the pleasure you get from using something that is well made. No surprise that dearer reels feel better and are more pleasureable to use than cheap ones although they wont necessarily catch you more fish. I spend a fortune on top of the range fly rods as they 'feel' so nice to use but I know its the angler not the rod that catches the fish.

If you are careful with the maintenance and money is tight, go with cheaper reels and just accept they may not last as long as a purpose designed salt water model.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have used some very inexpensive reels (shimano) in the salt and have never had a problem as long as you rinse them off with lots of warm running water and then dry and lubricate the line roller and handle.
These are parts of the reel that will be exposed to the salty stuff constantly.
Also rinse off the spool (behind) and dry.
I would have to say though that I always have stuck with Shimano reels (until this year) with these you are buying a known quality etc.
You know what I mean..................

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys

I suppose at the end of the day its all down to what you can afford and what you feel comfortable spending.

I could cough up £600 for a Van Staal but would I be happy doing so. The answer would always be no. I enjoy my fishing but I could spend £100 or less and get a decent reel.
Then I could spend the £500 I saved on a bass fishing holiday in Jersey :-D

·
Registered
216 Posts
The cheapest 'saltwater' reel that I have found is the Cormoran Black Star at £80-110.

I've been using the Shimano Exage FB for a year without any problems or maintainence, but it does seem to be a little noisier than it was originally. I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The Abu Soron (STX, or SX for less money) is well worth looking at. As is the Daiwa Coastal.

The Abu is all HPCR bearings (corrosion resistant), and the drag is sealed so if it gets splashed it doesn't die immediately. I used one for ages and never had a problem. I only stopped using it in the end because I'm a plonker and get bored of using the same tackle for ages. Blimmin good reel though - as was the Abu 804 I had before it (basically the same reel minus a bearing in the handle).

Reactions: Phil Rogers

·
Registered
773 Posts
Take a look at the Daiwa Coastal its a lot of real for the money (£119.49 @ Monster Tackle). Not salt water proof but salt water resistant, waterproof drag, 7 CRBB's and as smooth as a very smooth thing. I've just picked up the 3000 size and at 305g its a peach.

Reactions: Phil Rogers
1 - 8 of 8 Posts