·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Well, you try it and tell us m8.

The red rods just happen to be very good with lots of background (now) to fall back on when parting with the green folding stuff.

However, in the year 2007 BT someone had to take a punt. Thankfully, it paid off.

There will be other great stuff out there for those willing to take the plunge.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might just do that!!

3-14g for the light stuff or 7-42 for almost everything?????

Decisions decisions

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I might just do that!!

3-14g for the light stuff or 7-42 for almost everything?????

Decisions decisions

In my experience, the latter is often quite misguiding.

Go light.

If you need heavier, buy another rod.

Knowing you are SP man the 3-14g is probably the best choice to start.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided on the S600UL which is 2 to 10g and on sale - half price or so - at Yen8,400 which is £58 or so. Plus post to be confirmed. Have used Plat before so have no qualms after the excellent service last time!!

The heavier rods only come in 9ft 6 and I don't think I can go back to that again. Too long. The Shukan does heavier stuff and I like that. Let's go proper light eh!! Weightless and mini SP's here we come!!

Report to follow in a few weeks I guess.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Andy Marquis said:
The heavier rods only come in 9ft 6 and I don't think I can go back to that again. Too long. The Shukan does heavier stuff and I like that. Let's go proper light eh!! Weightless and mini SP's here we come!!
Well, now you've gone and done it. As soon as the rod shows up, photo's, in detail please. I'm looking at the Aussie BREAM style rods too but the makes are all alien. Help someone ?

Dicky: I wondered how long it would take before someone picked up on 'The Year 2007 BT'.

LOL

That would make 2010

The year '03 AT' for those sad enough to work it out...

;-):-D:-D

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I decided on the S600UL which is 2 to 10g and on sale - half price or so - at Yen8,400 which is £58 or so. Plus post to be confirmed. Have used Plat before so have no qualms after the excellent service last time!!

Report to follow in a few weeks I guess.
Nice spot Andy. I've just ordered the 706 :)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice one Mark. We can compare rods when they arrive!!! I just fancied the lighter one as the 706 is so close to the infeet (5-21g) so reckond the 2-10 would feel better with the kind of fish I seem to catch all the time!! And more important the Weighltess SP's I use all the time now.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Keith,
a lot of the Aussie bream guys are using Japanese Light Rock Fish rods or finesse bass rods. When I was there the cheaper rods weren't that good but that was 2002 and they have caught up a bit since.
LRF fishing is very popular in Japan but I have found virtually no rods or reels on the internet. Some of the top end stuff in the Japanese magazines I have go for up to JPY 50000 - 60000. Silly money at current exchange rates. One series of rods that I have found on PLATs site are the Major Craft Zaltz. They look good and are reasonably priced. My dilemna is do I wait for Nantes or just order one anyway.....

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/...ishing-light/major-craft/zaltz-rock-fish.html

I have a really good Japanese magazine that has lots of info about LRF fishing and other articles about bream fishing where it shows the technique with the weighted plugs. Can't read a word of it but you are welcome to borrow it if you like. Still useful despite the language barrier.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Nice. I got the 3-14g one. Cannot hurt, not too expensive if it is a flop. Means I can go and play at the harbour with Keith and Kev and co now as well!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Guys, how much roughly is the postage from Plat likely to be?

Must resist.

Weakening..............

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
The one I ordered last week was 3700YEN, by EMS. There was also a 'Handling Fee' of 735YEN through Paypal. Vidar talked me through how to order, as I had to email and ask for invoice to be sent to my Paypal email.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have now ordered the 700 model, as 706 was sold out.

Keith, you mention light braid, can you recommend a good light braid with this, to go on a 2500 reel?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I have now ordered the 700 model, as 706 was sold out.

Keith, you mention light braid, can you recommend a good light braid with this, to go on a 2500 reel?
Well, Liam mentioned 14lb powershot. Thats ok and, it is quite thin.

Recently though, the switch to even thinner braids has been a revelation.

Not too much readily available but Internet searches will list lots.

The yamatoyo i've used is PE 1.5 PE 1 and PE 0.8 they equate to about 18lb, 10lb and 8lb.

There are others of course. Paul B uses power pro in 10lb. That is nice and thin too. Thin is better as contact is maintained. Smaller jigs can drop through the water easier too.

PE 0.6 can make 10lb in some lines. That is mega thin stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts