The Lure Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with the bass hidden in coffee coloured water and 7' of surf in Sussex. I have been getting back into Pike fishing. I used to use multipliers for my Piking, but fancied trying with a fixed spool reel. So had to find a suitable rod.
My answer is a Savage 8' 30-90g Predator 2 piece rod, a steal from HarrisSportmail as it is in their sale at £39-99. Same sort of thing as the Bushwhacker, just a much more powerful action. Comes with a rod bag and rod bands. In short a lot of rod for the money. Will hopefully be out over the weekend, armed with big spinnerbaits, Super Shads, Zam's and Dawgs. Fingers crossed for something decent to try and put a bend in it.
Savage seem to be very good at surprisingly good rods, for relatively little money, if it is half as good as my Bushy, the pike might be in the Poop :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
Tunny said:
Well with the bass hidden in coffee coloured water and 7' of surf in Sussex. I have been getting back into Pike fishing. I used to use multipliers for my Piking, but fancied trying with a fixed spool reel. So had to find a suitable rod.
My answer is a Savage 8' 30-90g Predator 2 piece rod, a steal from HarrisSportmail as it is in their sale at £39-99. Same sort of thing as the Bushwhacker, just a much more powerful action. Comes with a rod bag and rod bands. In short a lot of rod for the money. Will hopefully be out over the weekend, armed with big spinnerbaits, Super Shads, Zam's and Dawgs. Fingers crossed for something decent to try and put a bend in it.
Savage seem to be very good at surprisingly good rods, for relatively little money, if it is half as good as my Bushy, the pike might be in the Poop :twisted:
Last Saturday I had a wiggle with that rod at a local tackle shop whilst getting my maggots for Sundays Grayling trip, and I must say for the money I was hugely impressed :D :D :D

Not sure that I agree with you decision to use spinning gear for heavy lure fishing though :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Vidar6 said:
Not sure that I agree with you decision to use spinning gear for heavy lure fishing though :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) ;)
spoil sport :lol: :lol:

Have fun Dave, i'm now stuck with working 6 days a week until xmas day then 1 week off so i've got to bide my time and try and not get too uptight IF YOU CATCH and i can't. Hey ho, good luck and hopefully see a report next week :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
Sounds like a no-brainer on that rod for that money, Dave. Do let us know how you get on. I am seriously considering some piking with my Bass gear over the winter. No sign of a break in the weather yet, and after three blank weekends in a row, I think bassing is over for me until next season. Never had a pike on a lure though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Lewisman said:
Mr Zzippy said:
we will organise a little meet soon tim, just need a break with the rain!!!
Fair-weather angler !!!
lol trust me ive had my fair share of soakings!!! i didnt realise at the time(s) when i over-judged the gravel bars and ended up 100yds downstream that i was actually skishing!!! :lol:

rivers still carrying too much water to get out!! need a break in the rain for them to run off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,810 Posts
Mr Zzippy said:
i didnt realise at the time(s) when i over-judged the gravel bars and ended up 100yds downstream that i was actually skishing!!! :lol:

Excellent :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Cheers Tunny. Might have to get one of them! If its anything like the Boner, its maximum casting weight should be more than 90g. I've chucked 80g+ with the Boner and its still a two piece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
LiamH said:
Cheers Tunny. Might have to get one of them! If its anything like the Boner, its maximum casting weight should be more than 90g. I've chucked 80g+ with the Boner and its still a two piece.
Mine turned into a floppy stick when i tried it with 3oz +squid it coped realy well however with 2oz +whole squid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven't had a chance to cast it yet, but it feels more like a more powerful Bushy than a Boner (fast rather than stiff).
Vidar,
I know you are right with regards multipliers/fixed spool. But it should be a laugh trying :shock:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top