The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
As the title suggests, fishing has been tough for us recently. Lots of fish in the water, lots of follows but few hook-ups. July was a disaster and early August not much better. I went out with Tim Murphy on Saturday for a short session and whilst I moved lots of fish, I only managed to land one schoolie. Sunday with George was a blank for me and he landed one small fish, but we must have moved 30+ fish each on a huge range of lures. We just couldn't find the lure that they wanted.
Anyhow, I managed to swing an afternoon off to fish with George today. Our first mark was a bust - water too low, onshore wind and swell, murky water and suspended weed.
Plan B was the estuary where we had some fish recently albeit small. Conditions here were great although it was a thumping great tide today. We saw lots of fish initially although these were mainly small mullet but eventually we found some bass in good numbers pushed tight against the shore as the tide pushed back into the sand bars.
George fished on the fly with great success managing 9 fish with 6 of these being in a 15 minute purple patch. I managed 5 on the little 2" Bertie Brewer bass grub fished weedless. Even better was that I managed all 5 on the little Firefly Ultra-Lite rod I bought this spring, a good way to christen the rod and a great way to have fun with small fish. I know there are bigger fish in this estuary so we just have to persevere - next trip Friday!
Oh yes - the water we caught ALL these fish in was no deeper than you can see in the video. Proof indeed of how shallow bass will be present even in broad daylight.
Once again, a great big thanks to Alex Jordan for donating the home-tied flies to George that he caught all these fish on. Alex - they work!

Short video and a pic of the amazing sunset attached...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great work Tim....like the video too....

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
keep going Tim it will get better. Im now on my second week's holiday in Ireland and have stil to catch a bass this year! Yesterday I had my first follows and I though it was getting better. This morning my waders started leaking into my pocket that held my wallet. Wallet is ruined, the notes are all soggy.... hell it could be worse, I could be working...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Off topic sorry Tim.....where abouts are you in Ireland Jon??

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Very nice work Tim & George :clap:, nice multimedia too :D.

Luke & i will probably be out somewhere tomorrow too. If we're coming West i'll drop you a txt.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Great to see normal service being resumed and I see George is in pole position again. Love the video and sunsets like that just make things even better, thanks for sharing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts