The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, I have the chance of borrowing a car and two sit on Yaks which, given the weather and water temp, I want to take advantage of!

I quite fancy taking them out on the SE coast (Jersey) from low (13:40) and working my way back up with the tide. I'm keen to put in some practice with the HRF techniques but I'll be taking hard plugs too.

Do you guys reckon this approach is likely to yield some fish during a sunny day? Off the shore I would be a bit more sceptical but with the added reach I'm thinking I might be able to have some fun with Mackerel and maybe even the odd bass...?

My fishing time is pretty limited at the moment so I want to make the right choice!

Any thoughts?

Sam.

·
Registered
323 Posts
hi sam once you start yak fishing if this is first time you will be hooked stay safe pfd always and just enjoy the day and tight lines
pete

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah first time for something like this. Been out of the kayaks a few times though and have safety kit etc.

Thanks for the replies, I'll try and decide between st. ouens and SE. Depends on swell.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah first time for something like this. Been out of the kayaks a few times though and have safety kit etc.

Thanks for the replies, I'll try and decide between st. ouens and SE. Depends on swell.
Go for the SE mate its got more opportunity for a range of species, I would ask if you wanted some company, but my inlaws are over and its the first full day of being here (I am banned from fishing for an entire week, first time she's ever banned me tho and for good reason!).

By the way completely of subject, your not Louisa's Sam are ya?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh gutted! Just the time when you need to escape most right!

I'm liking the idea of the SE, always wanted to kayak there.

Yep I'm Louisa's, I clocked your sig early today actually and wondered if it was you!

How's it going? Didn't know you fished.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Going all good cheers dude, hows thing with you?

Love my fishing mate been doing it years, got into Kayak fishing about 3 years ago. As Pete said once you try it you will be hooked. I haven' t got out as much as I'd like at the mo cause of my little one, managed to get a short trip on Mon and managed a few, including a Ray on Soft plastics!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the new addition! Glad to hear you can still manage a trip out or two!

Things are good with me, loving this hrf stuff. Getting out a bit, never as much as I'd like but you know how it is.

Looking forward to the kayaking, concerned about dealing with a roudy bass, but that's a nice problem to have to solve!

Nice one on the ray! Was that the 9 pounder on sp's??

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Sam

Dont know how much time you have but try to fish the drop down and back with up the flood.You will never know until you go.
By the way are you fishing off both yaks?????

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Sam

Out with a few mates on Saturday at 0930 from La Rocque slip back about 1530 if you want to tag along your more than welcome look for the white van man

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Stephen,

Don't think I'll have time to do the drop as well, was gonna go from low and follow the tide up. I'm afraid my mate has grabbed the other one!

Peter, it is indeed Mon Vie!

Hi Zirg, thanks for the offer mate, that's really kind, unfortunately I'm not going to get there until about 1 - 2pm. Was thinking of launching the same place so I'll keep an eye out for you coming back. Hopefully with big grins on your faces!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, a quick update on what we got up to:

Went out on the SE at about low (couldn't get there earlier unfortunately) and worked our way to the back of the reef. We messed around down there for too long and basicall missed the tide coming up through the gutters... By the time we started to kayak back inshore we just had about 2 miles of open water to cover...!

Good learning experience and some great exercise! Only one mackerel and two small pollack over about 5 hours! The mackerel was huge though, absolutely massive.

Learning was, get there 3hrs before low and get out fast ready for the tide to turn!

·
Registered
323 Posts
at least you caught fish good weather fun thats what it's all about be at least 2months before i can try my hobie again at least it's winter here i have a pic of my last fish caught 2 months ago bluefin tuna 6 kg might try to post it up
pete

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice Pete, 6kg Tuna must go like crazy!

Yes, happy to catch something! It's a cracking place to kayak too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
alex nice GT in your pic jay i used to know a sandra coutanche ?meny years ago. sam lempriere thats an old jersey name?
Sorry for the delay in getting back been a hectic couple of weeks with loads of family! No relation to Sandra Coutanche as far as I know, I'm related to pretty much all the Vautiers over here tho.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts