The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn’t sure whether to go sea or river today but decided on the river as I fished the Cornall bumble all last weekend and I haven't fished the river for ages. So I dug out the UL gear, tied on a 20lb titanium leader and off I went.

2nd swim upstream I hooked a little jack, about a pound or so, on a Rapala jointed Shad-rap 4cm. Good, I thought, the fish must be “on”. But spoke to soon as I didn't get another take for nearly 2 hours. Had a pike of about 5lb on for about 5 seconds, then it was off.

Nothing again for 1/2hr so I thought I’d start making my way back to the car, and maybe go bassing somewhere. Fishing back downstream, I then had 2 jacks, both in the same swim. One about 4 lb and the other about 5lb.

Moved down to the last swim and decided “last cast”.

Fish on!

After a short fight I landed and weighed it at 13lb7oz. My best pike this winter so far, and a beautifully conditioned, plump fish. By now it was raining hard so I had another couple of casts (had another tiny jack) then packed up, back to the car.

On the way home to pick up the bass gear I changed my mind and thought I’d fish a different stretch of the same river. 3 casts and I had this lovely, deep bodied chub - 6lb4oz.

That was the only fish in about and hour and a half. It was still raining hard, so I packed up and called it a day.

All the fish apart from the 1st one were caught on my favourite 3" twintail on a 3g jighead.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
:clap: Good going Adrian. I'll have to wait til I get home to see the photos but 13.5lb sounds like a cracker on UL (still can't reckon the difference between UL and LRF).

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Nice fish Adrian. We had six inches of snow on the ground yesterday, nothing today! No time to get out though, Hopefully will tomorrow. Cheap fishing on thast lure too!!!! Maybe we need a bumble down your way? Can it be fished on a day ticket?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Great stuff Adrian! Gotta love those Pike and a superb Chub.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice fish Adrian. We had six inches of snow on the ground yesterday, nothing today! No time to get out though, Hopefully will tomorrow. Cheap fishing on thast lure too!!!! Maybe we need a bumble down your way? Can it be fished on a day ticket?
The pike was from a syndicated water but the chub was from a free stretch. Plenty of water to fish so it probably would be suitable for a bumble. I had my PB pike from it too. All those interested raise your hands

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Insanely good chub mate!!! :D

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Adrian,
some nice Pike there, and a lovely Chub-proper chunky.
Good sport on your UL rod.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Very well done Adrian - Looks like you had a corker of a session, think you made the right choice, fishing the river.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts