The Lure Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,

I am after your help on a project, most especially if you catch Sea Trout on occasion! Basically I am trying to find out how we can target environmental improvements that will result in more Sea Trout in our rivers and in the seas. The project is being run by the Westcountry Rivers Trust www.wrt.org.uk, who have worked for many years to get anglers involved in improving our fisheries. In the past this has pretty much just involved freshwater anglers, but this is missing out a big part of the picture - what about the Sea Trout at sea?

I know from experience, and from reports here that us salt lure anglers catch a fair few Sea Trout each year, either on purpose (Smith Panish plugs etc), or whilst angling for other fish (Dexters, Tobys etc). Of course, you need a licence to target them, but they can turn up fairly often whilst spinning for other species (at least round my way they do). Now, the favour I wanted to ask you was to collect a few scales from them, whether you caught on purpose or caught them as a 'bycatch' and returned. These scales will provide us with loads of information about how to improve the management of Sea Trout.

I have some little packs for collecting scales, with instructions, scale keeping envelops etc, so I would be incredibly grateful if you could PM me if you would like to get involved, and I will to send you one of these packs, or even if you just would like to find out more about the project. I am mostly looking for scales from fish from the South and South West of England, but if anyone catches them from Jersey (?), France or even further afield I would love to have your help too!

Hopefully with your help we can make the Sea Trout a more common catch in future!

Cheers, Bruce.

PS If you reach this thread through a search, then I am still after your help in 2010, 2011, and the first half of 2012. So please feel free to contact me at any time during this period. Or even after if you want to see how the project went! Cheers.

PS Mods, I have put this on the Social Club section of the forum, as it did not seem to fit anywhere else!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hi there, I do alot of work with several angling bodies regarding this and have to say its awesome to see projects like this in other areas of the Uk, I also work at the hatchery and with fish rearing projects and It can be bloody hard work with little results for a whole lot of effort (mainly red tape)!!! I can get you a stack of information/data on the projects I work on if it helps? PM the type of info and I will sort it!! Full credit to you and anyone involved in theese types of projects.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts