The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will admit I know feck all about Sea Trout fishing or the lures needed. I only know the little I know from what some customers in Ireland and the UK have asked me to get, and I quiz them a bit on the phone while I have them.

Anyhoo, been asked for a while to get the Smith Panish, so I have found some, just need to know what sizes and colours? I think its the DD that most want though isnt it? The deeper one? Ha, yes I am asking you guys to do my job for me :) I am sure you can appreciate that normally I know what works for certain species, but Sea trout, no. Cheers guys, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
**** I got a few off Jim Hendrick at a show in Dublin in Feb and there great lures,ive been using the smith panish 65DD and smith shirasu minnow there action is great for such a small lure and cast a reasonable distance using 8 pound braid and a light rod il try post a pic today or tomorrow,

·
Registered
156 Posts
****, i fish the western cleaddau in pembrokeshire and the lures that have been most popular have been the cd7 or cd9 rapalas.
i fish either the silver shiner or firetiger if the water is dirty, these have out fished any other lure i have used and dont think anyone else uses anything else on our waters

·
Registered
62 Posts
These are the smith lures I have 65 DD panish top left 2, underneath 2 shirasu minnow, 60 troutin surger comes rigged with a single assist hook, on the right 85 panish,personally I prefer lures under 80mm for seatrout let us know if your going to start stocking smith I also fancy the look of the smith chinupen.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
****, i fish the western cleaddau in pembrokeshire and the lures that have been most popular have been the cd7 or cd9 rapalas.
i fish either the silver shiner or firetiger if the water is dirty, these have out fished any other lure i have used and dont think anyone else uses anything else on our waters
Have you ever tried the old Rapala countdown 'jointed' plugs ?
I dont think you can get them any more,I love these plugs as they 'fish deep' and still retain the rap jointed wiggle.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have you ever tried the old Rapala countdown 'jointed' plugs ?
I dont think you can get them any more,I love these plugs as they 'fish deep' and still retain the rap jointed wiggle.
Hi Nick, i have a few of the jointed countdowns, was lucky cuz a i found a gent selling a load on ebay a few years ago!
They are fantastic for the water when it is high, but found they were the best lure for the salmon, they realy dont like it when they wiggle past there hole, but i have never hooked one up!
Small silver rapalas fished at the break of light is so deadly, i have had all my best sewin at that time of morning.
We had alot of rain last year, so the fly was put on hold, because of this and alot of anglers were either using worm(worm was useless) or the lures

Also the mepps size 2 or 3 silver with blue spots is popular here too, size 2 for the sea trout or size 3 for the salmon.

Hugh Falcus wrote in his sea trout and salmon book, ''If you put a hook on a pencil sharpner and cast it under the nose of a salmon, he would more than likely attack it!

I believe thats the same with sea trout, so i would never pay a large amount for a lure, well i would for bass:mrgreen:
This is a sewin caught on a firetiger cd7

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts