The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone
I'm new in forum i'm looking for a seabass rod for topwater lures and lures like ima komomo sf130 slim.
Rod must be fast or extra fast action and it can be 6-28 or 7-35 lenght must between 2.70 - 3 meter.
Do you have any advice for these spesifications ?
Should i go for a custom build or yamaga or better option ?

Silky Sea Bass’ 9ft 6"
Yamaga Blanks Ballistick 94M TZ/NANO

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Its about how far down the blank bends under load Ray.
The faster the stiffer the blank is further down.
Always a trade off between casting/lure working/fish playing.
Personally I would like a faster rod for casting/working hard lures.........that turned into a softer rod once I had hooked a decent fish!

Looks like you have a good budget Cihan. Try searching the rod section on here for a million opinions.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Shore Game 96

Reactions: cihan

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yamaga all day long. Custom if you need something different or are in love with a blank that you need to build or you like a shorter grip or certain eye placements ie cone of flight. There is nothing a custom rod gives you over off the shelf when it comes to a top rod builder like yamaga.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Its about how far down the blank bends under load Ray.
The faster the stiffer the blank is further down.
Always a trade off between casting/lure working/fish playing.
Personally I would like a faster rod for casting/working hard lures.........that turned into a softer rod once I had hooked a decent fish!

Looks like you have a good budget Cihan. Try searching the rod section on here for a million opinions.
Thank you Michael.
I'm searching like crazy i looked too much brand and model then i'm confused little bit. :)
How much kilogram do you mean as 'decent fish' ? :D

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have 2 argento nuevos GONAS so I can only vouch for these. They're awesome rods.
I have an 8'6 5-21g and a 9'6 7-35g. This is a fine all-round rod and they are a hell of a lot tougher than most rods out there.
Mine have taken all the Knocks and drops that do occur when your fishing rocky marks. A lot of rods seem to snap to easily. The argento nuevo range would be my starting point. Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
How much kilogram do you mean as 'decent fish' ? :D
Depends on the species. Bass anything over two kilos, and I want a rod that bends through a bit more than the faster blanks. those mouth membranes on Bass are not robust. Similarly with some freshwater fish. I want a softer rod for Perch around a kilo to stop hook pulls, and stalking big carp of 10 plus kilos at close range, the more the rod bends, the more I like it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Depends on the species. Bass anything over two kilos, and I want a rod that bends through a bit more than the faster blanks. those mouth membranes on Bass are not robust. Similarly with some freshwater fish. I want a softer rod for Perch around a kilo to stop hook pulls, and stalking big carp of 10 plus kilos at close range, the more the rod bends, the more I like it.
Rod is and always will be a personnel choice, but wouldn't a good reel with a well set drag address the issues you have with a fast rod

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Rod is and always will be a personnel choice, but wouldn't a good reel with a well set drag address the issues you have with a fast rod
I think fast rods bounce/pull hooks out of fish with delicate mouth membranes/hard plate sections like Bass and Perch. Like everyone else, I,m compromising based on casting/lure working needs, but having done a lot of close range fishing for big fish in weeds or snags, I am confident that I have most control over a hooked fish, with a more through actioned rod. although we hadn't talked reels Brian, a reel with good line lay and clutch is also essential.
Fisherman Fishing Ray-finned fish Tail Fish

30lb 4oz one of 14 fish over two mornings in June. Ten were twenties. Two of those 30lb plus. All caught on a through actioned rod at very short range. Two fell off. One due to a burred hook. One slack lined me on a barbless hook in weed. I wouldn't have landed as many on something fast actioned, I would have pulled hooks out trying to stop them.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Try working topwaters or hard lures with a soft floppy blank, its not going to be great. If you're just chucking out boilies and sitting it on a rod rest fishing for what are essentially someones pet fish then a floppy length of shite may be ok.
Bass have soft mouths, fcuking really :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
@cihan stick to the rods mentioned by the bass anglers in the thread seeing as you want a bass lure rod not a carp rod lol!!
Not used one but have been thinking about a Yamaga Blanks Ballistick, they have a good following.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Ok Rich.
1) In my first post in this thread, I said I wanted a fast rod to cast and work lures.
2) In the second, I said that I was compromising on rods for that very reason.
3) I didn't say bass have soft mouths. I said they have mouths made up of hard plates connected by delicate membrane. They do, that's why those mouths can protruse so much to engulf big prey. Hooks pull through that membrane, you see it in enlarged holes around hooks on fish landed. I think hooks also bounce out of those harder plates. Bass seem, according to many reports on here, to be fish that don't always stick once hooked. Fast blanks will never help that situation.
4) Havent bought a boilie since the eighties. I was flicking out a single freelined dog biscuit on a size 8 hook, so very short range, at fish to 30lb, in weed. They obviously didn't know they were someones pet either, as they then went on clutch screaming runs of up to 50 yards with a clutch set so the 2.3/4lb test curve blank was bent to the butt. Century blank incidentally, so not floppy shite, but a softer through actioned blank designed to play hard fighting fish at close range without pulling hooks. (Most standard carp rods are much faster actioned. You can tell that in those TV programmes, when people have clutches set featherlight, and hold the rods as far up the blank as they can, to soften the action of the rod by holding above the stiffest section. They do this because their fast actioned casting tools are crap at playing fish once hooked, and they don't want hook pulls! My stalking rods are not casting machines. They never sit in a rod rest. I use them because of their capabilities once a fish is hooked.) Just like bass fishing Rich. There are many ways to catch a carp. Some of them a lot more fun and challenging than the method you describe, which is not what I do.
5) Not for one second saying buy a carp rod either Rich. Just used the story to illustrate the fish playing advantages of softer rods compared to a faster blank/lighter set clutch combination.
6) Never said use a soft lure rod Rich, but I would point out that your beloved skyroad is softer than many other Bass lure blanks, including the new favourite Tailwalks. The skyroad sounds like my kind of blank......if only the customer support was reliable.
7) Also I'm a Bass angler at the moment.........Well I'm casting lures into what I think are Bassy looking spots. Three trips so far. Hooked a good one on my third cast. It fell off at my feet...........Since then...........better tides on the way hopefully.
Hope that clarifies what I thought I was saying in my general post, and in my response to Brians question. Also hope I've done that without appearing to disparage you or the fishing that you do......never understand why anyone would feel the need to do that in a civilised discussion on a forum.
Nice to see you back posting by the way. Do you reckon that lively debates might tempt a few more into posting again rather than just visiting every day????????????????

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You say they aren't pets but but you caught them on pet food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have two yamaga blank nano ballistics -- unfortunately not the length you asked about but the 2 I have are awesome rods - especially the 8.6

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Graphiteleader Argento Prototype GARPS-942ML
Shimano Exense S903ML Respect the Sanctuary
Tenyru Swat S97ML
I'm going to buy one of them and combine with stella c3000hg. :)[/QUOT

The swat is a really nice rod

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
....had the 10-2 yamaga ballistick its like 500 quid now,, lovely tough beatiful rod in everyway but for some reason just didn jell with it.
had a nuovo same deal 10fter would maybe have been perfect but on 10ft the handle lenght was daftly short.
. have a silky DFR, its lighter actioned that the GL or yamagas easier to load its not just due to the 28g rating either. ive had one b4 sold it missed it got another.
some whove tried it hate it.
theyre all great rods they all got their own style if it doesnt work 4 u tho...
personally id get the new century 9-6 custom still be cheaper than a yamaga.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts