The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I tried!

Sadly no fish (apart from the cod and chips at the end of the day)

My mate Steve and I started the day at Seaford in the morning just under seaford head cliffs, there were plenty of terns and gulls in the cliff face and quite a few circling above us, sadly the only thing I saw them dive at was my Sammy, patchinko and gunfish. The little buggers wouldn't leave them alone, luckily no hooks ups with the birds and I wisely changed to using shallow divers instead :)

The water was a bit murky at seaford and we didn't see any signs of fishy life so as high tide approached we decided to take a trip over to cuckmere with the intention of trying the river for mullet with spinners as there are always some good ones milling about. After we got there and ate our ice creams (thanks Mr Whippy) we headed down the long walk to the beach but once we got there the water was so much clearer and looks pretty 'bassy' so we wandered off to the right round the cliffs instead of the river. Theres some nice looking ground down there but again, sadly no fish :(

Still got to try out some new toys, we tried everything! from Ayu X-raps to Zonks. I am impressed with the the Rapala Maxraps though, cast like bullets and a nice action, I reckon they could be a weapon of choice when the fish turn up!

A very hazy day though, perhaps the volcanic ash from Iceland??? who knows but visibility was pretty poor.

Ah well, theres always next time...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great photo's Chad... looks very nice..
....Lets hope you have more luck next time

The X-Raps are pretty good aren't they........

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Sometimes it is great just to get out. No opportunities for me apart from a spot of mackerel/gar fishing off the beach on saturday. Same result as you though, no signs of fish. A start to this years tan if nothing else.

Dawn and dusk are best around these parts. Definitely worth the effort to get there for first or last light.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I like the X-Raps, but the Max rap is even better!

Similar to duo tide minnows but cheaper and I think they cast slightly better too.

you can get them at monster tackle
http://www.monstertackle.co.uk/fishinglures/rapala-max-rap.html

I have the Flake Ayu and Flake green colours but I'll definitely be buying more, Rapala Lures have a pretty much bullet proof finish compared to some of my other lures like the Zonk which seems to peal off more paint with every outing.

There are vids around....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah0dBRUjOag

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes it is great just to get out. No opportunities for me apart from a spot of mackerel/gar fishing off the beach on saturday. Same result as you though, no signs of fish. A start to this years tan if nothing else.

Dawn and dusk are best around these parts. Definitely worth the effort to get there for first or last light.
Thanks Mike, I'll definitely remember that for my next session down there.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Yeah I like the X-Raps, but the Max rap is even better!

Similar to duo tide minnows but cheaper and I think they cast slightly better too.

you can get them at monster tackle
http://www.monstertackle.co.uk/fishinglures/rapala-max-rap.html

I have the Flake Ayu and Flake green colours but I'll definitely be buying more, Rapala Lures have a pretty much bullet proof finish compared to some of my other lures like the Zonk which seems to peal off more paint with every outing.

There are vids around....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah0dBRUjOag
While you are on the Monster site have a look at Daiwa Saltiga minnows in size 12 and 14. Great long casting lures similar in shape to the new Rapala Max Rap. Also the Daiwa Chugger Minnows are great shallow water/reef lures and not so expensive as some. If you know you are going to lose a few then these don't hurt the wallet so much but are still good catchers, especially the blue/black/gold, very 'pollack' like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts