The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was down in weymouth for the Lure Comp, I heard that the first few squid have been taken in the Weymouth area. So in a few weeks time the Eging Season will be open big time.
Hope to get back down to Weymouth soon and try for a few squid, will keep the board posted on any success.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Dave, it was in our plans to have a go this weekend and George even bought a jig from the shop. We just never managed to make time. Tell me, can you catch them during the day or do you have to fish at night for them??

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim, Under the cover of darkness is normally the best time to catch squid-Although Mike's local knowledge might say otherwise.

Jon,
Eging Bumble??? Hmm sounds like it might be a good idea-someone going to bring the stove, chilli and garlic!!!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Dave, they are starting to show here, but would wait for the first of the frosts to target them. Def worth a trip down to have a go.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I had two squid the other night. I changed to an egi after feeling pluck after pluck on my plug. I am not sure they went away to be honest.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I went out with Keith last night on a Bass sesh initially

After a few casts with a one-up shad I had a cuttle clinging on to it , it dropped off before could land it - destroyed the shad with wedge shape chunks out of the lure.

carried on with the lures and moved spots and got hit by cuttles lots more on shads.

Changed to a egi and had a fair few knocks and hook ups but didnt land any as they kept dropping off and we didnt have a net - Keith had a massive Squid also that was landed.

Ok so we had no luck with the silvers but it has taught and gave me confidence that you do not need to be near a light source (pier/lights) to catch squid/cuttles at night as we where on a rock mark in the dark!

I went out again this morning and had Cuttles landed and some snipe smashing at my Egi as it hit the water.

Also bumped into and met 2 welsh bumblers (Nathan + Bob) by chance as they turned up where I was fishing this morning - coincidence or tracking device ? - was good to meet them and have a chat and hope they have a good few days here!

·
Registered
498 Posts
same here dave was cuttle city mon night, wonder if the approaching full moon anything to do with it?, ive seen squid around that mark all summer in day light

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Well, the eging right now is awesome and pretty much a gimme if you fancy a go.
Day or night, they are like a plague of locusts right now but some good average size of 800 -- 1200 grams in the Sepia and upto 2 kg Ika's.
I'm loving it and Eging at every opportunity.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Dave, when ever you want to come down and have a go let me know. The local anglers are just starting to target them here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts