SeaTrout Secrets series | Page 5 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

SeaTrout Secrets series

Discussion in 'Clothing & Accessories' started by {name}, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Throbbing Member

I would recommend mono if you are using a stiff rod with no give.

I use braid because I have a suitable rod.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pollock

You might have mentioned this already, but where are you targeting them guys?
    Is it open beaches or rock marks ? does it help to be near a river mouth?
    I've never targeted them and know almost nothing about them.

3. Bass

Well Tom, estuaries/river mouths were my first target area whilst walking round Scotland but weirdly it's a bay with rocky, bladder wrack and kelp which Paul introduced me to that is showing most activity. Not landed one yet this year but Graham and I have lost some and plenty of nips.
    Having said that I'm off to a river mouth tomorrow to try my luck. This thread has produced an awful amount of food for thought, great tips and goes against much of the information around when I started researching methods. My own personal favourite colour is still green and orange if the water is coloured by the peat.
    And I've spent an hour or so sharpening the hooks too!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Bass

Spin stop?

when they're tapping the at the lure stop it dead and they'll take it on the drop? Or have I missed it completely? :oops:

Its sounds so simple I had to search and even the mighty google search engine and youtube no nothing of this enigma.

5. Striper

Even the mighty Google can't compare to the knowledge of Martin and Nigel. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Striper

This is the sort of ground I fish over. Maybe a few larger, single boulders here and there but very similar.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  7. Throbbing Member

Tom.......open coast for me.

Graham......Yes stop the lure, let it sink for a second or two, you usually get hit when you start the retrieve again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bass

Thanks Nigel, I will put all this good info to good use when these winds blow out. I would love to visit your island but its such an awkward place to get to from where I am. I can touch your Eastern and Northern shores with my rod tip when out fishing but to get there is a 260 mile drive and a ferry, or maybe a float tube in the North channel if you'll look out for me drifting by.

With a car/ferry cost share the Manx bumble would be a possibility if anyone is interested ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Striper

Would it not be worth trying to find someone in the area with a boat, willing to take you (me?) (David?) across for a reasonable fee. We could all stay at Nigel's, eat his food, drink his beer, catch his trout etc then head home. Simple.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Throbbing Member

:stupid: :muttley:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bass

I know somebody who might just be up for that but I don't know if the island would have enough beer and food to sustain him for a day.

12. Throbbing Member

The Spin Stop

• Like Like x 4
  13. Throbbing Member

Ultra Violet light is seen by sea trout in daylight, so some UV coloured lures & flies are better in the daylight.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sea Trout

Some of the Ones I've requested Ocean to stock

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bass

Glasgow Angling Centre have a few in stock but can ship all the colours in 18 and 28g in approx one week, £5.99.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chub

I keep the rod tip up, keep some tension on it and take the pace off, let the lure fall. Try and keep your forefinger on the blank if the front grip is short enough. I do a stop after the faintest of touches. Sometimes the fish will be might be there almost all the way in. One thing about white on your lure is that it's easy to track the last few yards. Always watch just behind it, if you spot a fish have a go, one of the best things about them is that part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Striper

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mullet (foul hooked)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sea Trout

That's Karma
    :D:(

Have watched a mate Hook/lost a fish, Smashing a tip section In the process. Then after afew Words of "Encouragement " and "Friendly" Gestures, :cool:
    ,,,,,,for me to have a screaming take , Frantic run to hit it, slip and end up in the Drink myself :(
    My car keys, mobile and Delkim remote were never the same after that ,,,
    What a tit
    :muttley:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Chub

That new 28g one would be handy in a head wind for Bass Paul. The last batch I got from Germany came with oval split rings and the right size beads. I fish them with two of these small beads or one slightly larger oval bead, sometimes a fluro on a dull day. In my mind this creates a hot spot in front of the hook. The Shad in Ireland like that last year on a Taz:)

• Like Like x 1