The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I left the house at 0600hrs and took the usual trip down the M4 in the wind and rain to meet up with my fishing partner for the day, and the pike guru that is Mr Steve Lewis! I got to "Beirut" where Steve was waiting with a cup of tea. Two things surprised me that morning, firstly, Steve makes a fantastic cup of tea and secondly, he was up early!!!! lol. Car loaded, sausage and egg mcmuffins washed down with a cappuccino en route we arrived at the mighty Bosh. I think Steve tried a bit of mind tactics whilst we geared-up by the car, dazzling me with some new shiny plastic he had acquired, it seemed to work (initially at least!!) and despite his gammy leg Steve was soon in position in the first peg whilst I continued on to the next, no sooner had I got there Steve “snag-proof” Lewis was shouting “fish-on” after just three casts as well!! Good angling. I went to assist with the landing and offered to take a photo; apparently if they are not doubles they do not get photographed (there must be lots of storage space on your memory card, eh Steve?)!!!!! We worked our way around the various swims, I still had not had a sniff by now but thankfully “snag-proof” was on hand with words of encouragement and serenaded me with the theme tune from Blankety Blank. I did manage a few hits and connected with a few crocs but each time they threw the lure after a brief fight. In my defence they were not really “having it” I think they were hitting my well controlled and presented lure more out of instinct than wanting to eat it. That’s my excuse, and I am sticking to it!! Lol. We then met Gwyn who had banked 2 fish which made “snag-proof” even more delirious and more words of encouragement were sent my way! I had a few more hits at that swim, lost a good fish, could not get a take on my banker lure and to top it all off, I stuck a lure in the tree. Things were looking grim. Fortunately for me “snag-proof” had not increased his tally, so convinced it was a fluke I pressed on. I covered as much water as possible, made no end of changes to my presentation and retrieval techniques BUT stuck with the same 2 lures. Why? Confidence in knowing they are going to produce. The task was to find out how they wanted them. I even toyed with the idea of targeting perch as we walked around to the main lake just to get a fish on the bank!! Thankfully though I stuck to the crocs and quickly cracked the way they wanted the lures presented. After that it was numerous hits and fish after fish were banked. After a couple of hours fishing up to the Eight Arch Bridge I was on 6 fish, one of which was a very nice double. Time had passed quite quickly; we left the main lake, the otters (fabulous sight), the herons and a whole load of other wildlife to fish the lower lake back up to the access path and car park. I had been attempting to video some footage but with the slow start and then a flurry of fish the best laid plans went out of the window. I did however manage to get some footage on film before “snag-proof” poached my swim and banked himself his final fish of the day which was a good double. It was a hectic twenty minutes; I took 2 doubles and one not far short of being a double and Steve also had a double all from the same peg in about 6 casts between us!! We both agreed that made a very fitting end to the session and packed up!! Final tally for myself was 11 fish, 3 definite doubles and at least the same number that were pushing on for ten pounds, “snag-proof” finished with 3 including a good poached double! Top lures for me was Deps Buzzjet (6 fish) and the Deps Basirisky (5 fish). It was fantastic day, many thanks to Steve for the banter and brilliant company, just magic. I will leave you with one of my home-made videos (please god don’t let me post the wrong link :-o)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUu_nO97_r8

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Angling of the highest order and superb multimedia yet again Iestyn! Top report! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
That's right Iestyn...go ahead and take advantage of a poor semi crippled o*d man and then rub his nose in it by reporting it to everyone.......................:shock::shock:....:badlol::badlol::badlol::badlol::badlol::badlol::badlol:

Poor old Steve must have got off his death bed to take you to the lake and do his utmost to make you look good Iestyn and this is how you repay him........ ;-);-)

Top report mate and Steve....Looks like grasshopper is learning fast oh Master.....:-D:-D

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Great report and super video Iestyn! Looking forward to some piking myself later in the year.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report Iestyn and the video is awesome,

1 min and 24 secs into the video you can actually see the Pike move from the left to attack the lure, ****ing brilliant :p

Here are some other photo's from the day.
This is one of your fish from the top lake on a peg that you hijacked from me :eek:

This is my Double, I let Iestyn hold this as he had to wade chest deep in water to free it from the Lillie's :p

Same fish just before being released :clap:

The display of new shiny things at the start of the day was designed to put you on the back foot, you remained fish less for nearly 4 hours and I was getting my plan together to destroy your confidence on the long trip back home should you have blanked :wink: To get your Mojo back the way you did and land 11 fish was very impressive and a lesson for me to have some self belief when things are not going to plan. I have learned loads fishing these lakes, I just need to put some of this into practice and have a go at the Bass :p Great day, thanks for the company and we will go hunting for some Big Perch soon :wink:

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Steve , Iestyn , Lure fishing for pike of the higest order , great video Iestyn watching the pike take the lure , well done both of you .. nice to see steve up and ready & waiting , i really wish we had pike here in jersey !!!! maybe you guys could smuggle some over and release them here .. :roll: :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Steve , Iestyn , Lure fishing for pike of the higest order , great video Iestyn watching the pike take the lure , well done both of you .. nice to see steve up and ready & waiting , i really wish we had pike here in jersey !!!! maybe you guys could smuggle some over and release them here .. :roll: :eek:
Bob,

You and **** need to get yourselves over to Wales and we will show you around and fish for some Pike if you like :p Offer is open to anyone who fancies trying out the Bumbles :-D

·
Registered
78 Posts
As if it all was choreograph , that is a perfect video mate of good fishing. well done. i bet if you change the title on youtube you'll get hits to millions. Well done again.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cracking report & vid lads !!! :clap: :clap:

Gotta love it when than bow-wave appears :D.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well done Iestyn, I knew the Pike master would come up trumps, lucky Steve knee wasn't fully functional otherwise he would shown you who the master was:) ;)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Iestyn, I knew the Pike master would come up trumps, lucky Steve knee wasn't fully functional otherwise he would shown you who the master was:) ;)
Gwyn,

You are right, just after you left he hit my knee with a big log :eek: that put me at a big disadvantage for the rest of the day as it stopped me getting on the pegs that got him all the fish :wink:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Iestyn & Steve - sounds like you had a proper laugh down at Bosh! Terrific video seeing that pike steam in from the left and hit the lure. We saw some bow-waves like that when we were there last week, but 11 fish, Iestyn? That's just greedy! You must have had some confidence in that swim to set up the camera I assume??

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mArRy Me IeStYn, YoU mY HeRo
:-o As tempting an offer as it is I will have to decline I`m affraid!!!! lol. The honeymoon would be a diaster with you in your speedo`s!!! :aarrg:

Gwyn,

You are right, just after you left he hit my knee with a big log :eek: that put me at a big disadvantage for the rest of the day as it stopped me getting on the pegs that got him all the fish :wink:
Cannot believe you seen me waiting with that log!! If I was wearing my camo........
Iestyn & Steve - sounds like you had a proper laugh down at Bosh! Terrific video seeing that pike steam in from the left and hit the lure. We saw some bow-waves like that when we were there last week, but 11 fish, Iestyn? That's just greedy! You must have had some confidence in that swim to set up the camera I assume??
I did have confidence Tim, "snag-proof" fluked one from there on his 3rd cast!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts