Senkos after dark. | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Senkos after dark.

Discussion in 'The Learning Zone' started by {name}, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Striper

Following on from Mr Lugg's splendid report from the Irish festival, I wondered what was everyone's best advice on this?
    What are we actually trying to imitate?
    Retrieve rates? Presumably dependant on tidal flow wave movement?
    Colours?
    Leader? Lure clip or not? ( I'm lazy!)

To be fair, I've only really tried them at the end of sessions which have seen me fish the evening tide into dark. Usually at a spot where I'm fishing into a decent lateral tidal flow with a bit of rock and weed in front of me leading onto a cleanish sandy bottom, probably about 15' deep at senko casting range at high tide.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pollock

fish love these things.twitched along,Otd,slow n straight or deadsticking.could be mimicking anything. Worm or fish. Just the long thin profile that's imprinted in the predators DNA gets them munching:geek: I reckon .

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Salmon

I keep giving them little goes, but very quickly lose confidence and switch to something else. All I've caught on one so far is a giant mackerel!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pollock

fish love these things.twitched along,Otd,slow n straight or deadsticking.could be mimickinganything. Worm or fish. Just the long thin profile that's imprinted in the predators DNA I reckon .

5. Pollock

I love senko type lures and use the wave worm allot. I always use a fairly long leader, 6' ish and use a clip. I like fishing them in flow and surf, deep or shallow and seem to do better on them at night but to be fair I'm usually fishing on the top during the day. As for retrieve speeds just keep it slow and steady when weightless, if using a jig head go a bit faster and add some twitches or you can fish sink and draw I've caught fish doing all of these. They are so versatile you can really mix it up and cover a wide range of situations they are also cheep. They could be imitating any small fish or large worm depending on where and how yo chose to fish them.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bass

I have started to use the 3" Senkos in freshwater. I fish them weightless. Only had a couple of small perch so far plus a few 'plucks'. It has taken me a while to have confidence to use them but looking at their action in the water I am hopeful of success in the future. Well that's the theory!

David

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pollock

They've been nailing freshwater bass for donkeys years from what I've read David.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Striper

• Like Like x 5
  9. Bass

I have always been a bit slow on the uptake Lee.:-D

Can't wait for the cooler weather to fish the lakes where there are some decent sized perch. Mind you I am hoping the chub will like them too when I fish the Thames again.

David

10. Amberjack

as this thread appears to me my fault....this is my take and VERY LIMITED experience on fishing senkos in the dark, a summation of tips I have soaked up from my betters over the past few years...

In terms of fishing in the dark in general, I do as much if not more as in daylight, so I'm comfortable with it - I think this as a starting point cannot be underestimated

controversial? - forget dusk - fish it black as you can get it. I believe there is a myth about dusk which needs bursting. At dusk I just sit the fuck down and wait. Every time I ignore dusk, I catch bass. You splash lures into the water on your mark at dusk, forget the night fishing. If you cant wait to chuck a lure on a mark, watch news at ten, THEN go out. My theory is that the bigger fish move in at dusk to hunt the shallows, lures plopping around them could possibly spook them, they must get braver under the cover of darkness. So I rest the water at dusk and imagine the hordes are moving in just for me! How many pictures have I got of dusk fish? ZILCH! How many in pitch black? LOADS

I have fished dusk enough to know its not that productive - so be brave (read disciplined) and sit it out, no matter how excited you are

water - flat calm, or for surf beaches, as flat as it gets. It should open up fishing to the times you thought you couldnt go

you are imitating, I suppose, marine worms - ragworm / lugworm

retrieve rate - slow - excruciatingly to moderately painfully slow - no twitches, no sink n draw - just drag em back slow - the undulations in the ground under them will impart some action. you can fish whilst sleeping standing up, (ideal for festivals :-D), the fish will wake you when they are there! Look at how they move whilst you practise in daylight, they are stunning to watch. Try putting your bail arm back over the instant the lure hits the water - imagine the silhouette of the lure from below - bass will not be able to resist this on a long, slow retrieve. Remember bigger fish are deemed lazier than the coked-up schoolies and will not compete with them - so a slow bait is attractive to them

colour - try em all. Carl swears on white, Steve, watermelon / pearl, I've done OK on black or white

Leader - yes, whatever you generally use, but over clean sand you could palomar braid to the hook I guess - try it!

clip - yes but a better action can be found on the rapala knot - you might (or the fish might) beat up the worm, but the hook should do for a session - just re-rig a fresh worm on the hook (I use lunker city texposer 4/0 or 5/0 )

rod - use a soft plastics rod, you will feel so much more. A bass poker might affect your hook up rate. Not sure rod length makes any difference - I use 8ft 2, Mat a 9ft 3, Carl and Steve are the SWAT team with 9ft 6 rods. clearly the longer rods will give greater casting distance which covers more ground. but all my hits have been relatively close in

wade - if you must - I've seen Matt Hooper fish 20 yards back from the shorebreak at a nasty oblique angle almost parallel to the shore and catch fish BEHIND me whilst I've been shin deep - thats fucking cool angling

be stealthy - I'm no ballerina, but just be cool, don't thrash about in the water

travel light - a handful of worms in your pocket, leave your shit up on the shore, you're the only mad bastard there tonight!

don't bumble - less is more - two people max on a mark

be comfortable at night - I have no imagination and therefore not worried about the bogeyman / werewolves / Freddie Krueger or any of that shit. I wouldn’t laugh at people who are afraid of what’s not there, but I’d assume it don’t help your fishing if you are jittery

know your kit - can you count your cast back in? where is your leader knot? is your spool tight? Sp's arent heavy, they wont pull your braid right n tight - make sure you are properly sorted

avoid cross winds - wind in face or on your back is fine, cross winds, forget it ( Carl T tip )

drag - usual drag setting, if you have clean sand to the horizon, maybe loosen her up a bit, enjoy the ride!

dont blow your night vision - leave head torches to getting in and out the mark, use the red light only for unhooking your prize

expect to get hit - when fishing at night, I fully expect to get hit, the anticipation, for me, is higher than in daylight. Feel the tap-tap - thats the fish investigating the lure. The takes can be soft, the fish might suck the lure up and you could retrieve it from the fishes mouth if winding too fast - hence a slow retrieve and no twitches. you should, if the fish are there get loads of taps ONCE you sort the retrieve speed. If I'd hooked up into all the taps I was getting last week, I'd have had at least 15 bass on the shore. Sometimes the take is a more violent smash and grab and run - so be ready!

I can't think of much else to add, this is my experience and how I do it, I'm no expert whatsoever, I just copied the greats like Adrian, Carl and Steve but fish on the shore don't lie and you did ask!

I'm slightly embarrassed at this post cos it reads like a good angler wrote it ,which I'm not, but if anything here helps someone else get a PB, the forum has done its job!

cheers

[​IMG]

go get em

• Like Like x 72
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. A

I love using them now, took a while but I am into them. I like them in the day as well. Particularly if there's a nice back wash in the surf. Just wind em in at night seems to work. A simple lure that can be easily complicated. I often think we are looking for bells and whistles on lures.

• Like Like x 11
  12. Striper

I have been dropping a lot of fish on sencos and struggling when to hit the bites fishing them really slow, thanks to a few of the lads I have changed how I fish them at night, firstly unless the current is strong enough to get them up in the water I have been fishing them quite a bit faster and hitting every tap, I am hooking way more fish and not dropping nearly as many

• Like Like x 6
  13. Striper

That's brilliant Rod, thanks very much for taking the time to post such an interesting and considered response.

I totally get the magic of touch fishing at night having spent a few years chasing mullet that way. The anticipation when cloaked in darkness can be almost intolerable!

Your point about ruining prospects by thrashing the water prematurely rings so true, especially in the calm conditions required. I really need to find the time for a proper night session with just a handful of the necessaries and fully tuned senses.

This is a GREAT forum, the grey matter has been stimulated and a plan to revisit an old favourite remoteish S Hams beach mark over low tide is being formulated!

Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Sprat

Only speaking from personal experience here.... My favorite and most effective way of catching bass in the dark.
    reel speed: very very slow, no twitches, straight retrieve but stop your lure for a second or two after every few seconds of reeling, i often get hit on the drop.
    Lures: 5" White wave worm,6" watermelon/cream Hawg stick, Megabass DOT crawler are my most effective, more produce in certain marks than others.
    not sure about the color, i think just play around with different senkos, different colors, it all depends on what they are taking on the night.
    not entirely sure what they are supposed to imitate, i always thought it was a sandeel but thats just what i think!
    I use a lure clip only because i'm too lazy to tie new knots all the time :-D
    And i also find that i get hit at my feet in the dark more than the day time so fish it all the way to the tip of your rod, and if you're fishing 15ft of water i'd recommend using a small belly weight with your weedless hook.... again im only talking about personal experience, I'm no expert on the matter!!
    10291096_663502513703121_1800745694998242794_n.jpg 1236811_10151892129926967_878307519_n.jpg
    a couple of nice bass to prove the method works well!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 12
  15. Striper

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sea Trout 2015 Bass Challenge Winner 2016 Bass Challenge Winner

Great stuff Rod. Sounds good advice to me.
    Personally I would opt for a Dolive stick or Xlayer.
    When I went to Lure Heaven last year they had no white senkos in stock. Apparently they'd been sent to Absolute Fishing, where they were flying out the door, following reports of fantastic catches by a well-known guide. Do they work better than other SP's or are they just more anglers' 'go to' SP?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pollock

If your missing takes with the 5" Senko , just wait for the pressure of the fish on the line and then give a quick flick of the wrist this usually secures a firm hook hold . If you miss a lot of sharp sudden plucks this normally means a lot of schoolies about , the better fish are more subtle in their takes .

BTW I wrote a thread on here about "Hook up Problems" with the Senkos back in 2010 , maybe this might be of use to you :-

https://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=5112

https://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=4868

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 7
  18. Pike

Anybody got any thoughts on how important the scent is on Senkos? You can imagine a largish soft plastic being slowly worked in calm, shallow water setting up a decent scent trail but what about Senkos fished in rough conditions (as I gather some people do - no experience myself). If scent is important, does this mean some brands will fish better than others? And should they be stored in a way which preserves the scent/oil??

19. Chub

Great response rod...I don't use senkos much but totally agree about the dusk thing....wait till it's properly dark...then give another 10 mins to be sure.

Disagree about the warewolves though...the fuckers are everywhere at night!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Amberjack

Cheers mike the extra ten minutes , like it,!

In terms of werewolves, I've heard growling and howling quite close by usually behind me and also seen fresh remains of dead sheep/cattle on Coast paths but never actually spotted the beast (s) yet....