The Lure Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts
Discussion starter · #44 ·
Just sorted my gear for a proper go at this tomorrow night. Low tide 22.55 reasonable sized building spring. Moonlight might be a bit brighter than would be ideal.
I'm gonna have to fish a different mark for a few hours til dusk and then move on to the beach for 10.30ish.
Don't know if anyone else fishes this way but I've just loaded a spare spool with 11lb fluoro as I like the idea of a sinking line for fishing weightless senkos on the bottom.
Just praying there ain't no dirty bait anglers on the mark when I get there!
So I fished a rock a little away from my ultimate destination from about 7.30. Towards dusk shoals of mackerel were driving through smashing small fry on the surface. Caught and kept a few to take home, some tidy ones around 1.5lbish, great fun.

Moved over to the beach mark at about 10.15. Sat down, had a sandwich and a smoke but of course it never got properly dark as the moon was up and nearing full. Low tide 10.55, started flicking out a weightless 6" River 2 Sea Quiver and was getting hits straight away, some small taps, some proper pulls resulting in the lure bent up around the hook but could I hook up? Could I fcuk!
Carried on like this for the next couple of hours or so, tried different hooks, dot crawler, different colour senkos but the white one kept getting most interest. Eventually frustration got the better of me and I clipped on a Sasuke 105 and a few casts later, fish on!!

Unfortunately NOT a bass but another bloody mackerel.....at nearly 2AM!!

I'm pretty sure that all the hits I was getting were mackerel as I then had a couple more on the Sasuke.

So still a Senko virgin then. :batonhead:

Oh well, it was a glorious evening/night with plenty to keep me interested, some fishy action and the bonus of fresh mackerel for lunch today. :wink:

3 kids here and they all go to sleep at night which is when I make my escape :horsesword:, I also have a 6:30 alarm set for work but I soon recover from a late night so that doesn't stop me from getting out :wink:.

Back to the original subject though and I still haven't caught on my Senkos yet but after reading some great advice on this thread I'll certainly stick with them :jump:.

Andy ,

I hear Senkos work well over in the Conway Estuary and Llandulas , lovely bit of ground to work them .

Looking forward to your next report Bud :wink:

Cheers for that Gary :wink:.

I've often thought about trotting them down tide in the Conwy but as yet I haven't had the bottle to give it a proper go :oops:, with sport being so poor at the moment though I suppose I should give it a go as I've got nothing to lose :-D.

Hi Andy, i think the best way to gain confidence in a new lure that you have been assured is good but has not produced on maybe tho few occasions you have tried it, is to leave your usual go-to lures at home the next few times you go thereby forcing you to use it. Its so easier said than done but if you can actually do it you have more chance of being pleasantly surprised. Senkos and other weightless or lightly weighted SP lures have often produced for myself and friends, fishing locally when our favoured surface lures haven't. Have several experiences of them also producing better sized fish again locally. For me it tends to be surface fishing most of the time, cos that's what floats my boat, but i think if i spent more time using SPs, i might catch more fish.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Andy, i think the best way to gain confidence in a new lure that you have been assured is good but has not produced on maybe tho few occasions you have tried it, is to leave your usual go-to lures at home the next few times you go thereby forcing you to use it. Its so easier said than done but if you can actually do it you have more chance of being pleasantly surprised. Senkos and other weightless or lightly weighted SP lures have often produced for myself and friends, fishing locally when our favoured surface lures haven't. Have several experiences of them also producing better sized fish again locally. For me it tends to be surface fishing most of the time, cos that's what floats my boat, but i think if i spent more time using SPs, i might catch more fish.

Thanks for the great advice Ian :wink:

I'm definitely a hard plastic addict, hence why I haven't given SPs a fair crack of the whip, but I'll try and build up the courage to take your advice and to leave my favorite toys at home for a change :-D.

Reactions: Ian Morris
Easier said than done Andy, easier said than done...I hope you crack it mate.
Extreme patience is needed for this weightless SP slowly slowly twitchy lark - thats my other downfall!
Could always go for catch one on your fave lure, know they are there, then take it off and switch to the SP...but how hard is that to do! :shock:
...Having said that, thats the approach I used to catch off the surface for the first time...but there again, I think its a far easier transition to make.

Question is - Would I rather catch 10 schoolies off the top or just one on an SP.

It f-in well happened mate, before my very eyes it did...and not for the first time either! Grrr! ;-)
LOL

Attachments

Easier said than done Andy, easier said than done...I hope you crack it mate.
Extreme patience is needed for this weightless SP slowly slowly twitchy lark - thats my other downfall!
Could always go for catch one on your fave lure, know they are there, then take it off and switch to the SP...but how hard is that to do! :shock:
...Having said that, thats the approach I used to catch off the surface for the first time...but there again, I think its a far easier transition to make.

Question is - Would I rather catch 10 schoolies off the top or just one on an SP.

It f-in well happened mate, before my very eyes it did...and not for the first time either! Grrr! ;-)
LOL

Cheers again for the advice Ian ;-).

I'm not sure I like the sound of extreme patience :-o and if I ever manage to catch another bass on any of my favourite lures it will be incredibly difficult to switch tactics away from one that's actually working :-D but needs must so in the meantime I'll just have to convince myself that giving SPs a proper go instead of sticking to my beloved shiny hard plastics is for the best :batonhead:.

Reactions: Ian Morris
That's exactly the approach I use Ian. After catching several schoolies on a favourite surface walker I clipped on a Hawg which was taken first cast. I figured the risk of missing another schoolie was outweighed by the chance of proving a new method worked - and it paid off.

i've done a lot of bait fishing over the years - both salt and fresh water - but a recent visit to Ireland found me fishing all through the night and trying the art of the slowly, slowly, fished, Senko.

From my Irish Bass Festival report ~

Around two headlands and across the shingle we tramped and on reaching the mark it seemed the best thing was to let things settle, get our night vision back and have a brew – It was 02:00.

Refreshed yet adrenalin fuelled at the same time we spaced out along the shore, flicked out the Senkos which Uncle Carl had kindly donated and with heightened senses searched the sand and rock gullies in the darkness for a lunker – One was all we’d need as the festival was coming to a close tomorrow and this venue can turn up very big fish in these conditions.

Barely a ripple touched the surface of the bay and at times I could even see the stars of the Milky Way reflected on the oily blackness of the sea.

We gave it around an hour and a half of the flooding tide but could not get a bite between us so it was decided to push on to another mark for first light.

Top tip from that night from Uncles Carl and Steve was 'feather' the line with your index finger so that the Senko lands with a gentle plop which, as those who know me will testify, is a departure from my usual tactics :wink:

I recently asked the question of how to fish SP's in a different thread and was directed to this one by Rod. Thanks for that Rod, many questions answered and now chomping at the bit to have a proper go at losing my SP cherry. Great thread.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.