The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The nipper has been whingeing about going fishing now he's a member of the local bass club so I took him to a harbour wall to have a chuck with pollack in mind to warm him up.

Started off with a Shrimp & Minnow Xlayer on a 7g standup head for me and a Storm Craw for him with a 3.5g football head as it was already on his rod.

he soon decided on a change and pulled his rod in and went ff for a run along the pier so I left him to it and I did a little twitchy slow retrieve when I felt a gentle tug then fish on!!

A nice fighty pollack on the Infeet about 1.5 or so. Proudly displayed by the nipper as if it was his!!

PollackXlayer1.jpg

He was rummaging through the van and decided his next lure would be a Senko I asked him how he wanted to fish it and he decided on a wacky rig with a 3.5g slider jighead.

he was soon giving it a good go, told him to try jiggling the rod so off he goes and whallop. FISH ON!! Screaming reel on his little Exage 2500 and soon he has a fish up to the wall. I decided on the drop net as it was tricky pulling the last fish up the wall with thin braid and didn't want my fingers sliced as the fish was still lively. He was chuffed as he's never caught anything requiring a net!! Well it wasn't that big really...

Anyway. Here it is

PollackSenko1.jpg pollackSenko2.jpg

So there you go. Senkos do work!!

We had a few more casts and saw several pollack including some large ones go for the Senko but decide against it last moment. Not sure why. Guess we need to experiment a bit more. I tried one rigged wacky with no jig head and couldn't get the wobble going, worked better with a lead head even if it didn't seem "right" to do so.

Might have to get some more in the larger sizes and see if they work a bit more. Cheap as at £1.40 for 6. Don't mind if I lose a few unlike the 2 Xlayers I lost/got ripped up :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Andy, well done to the young man - I would be chuffed with that pollack! I'll be buying some SPs tomorrow and Senkos will be on the list! What size and colours were you using today?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Cracking report Andy, Nice to see father and Son fishing together !!

We managed to get out today, 3 Fathers and their Sons,

Myself and Adam
Tim and George
Simon and Luke

We blanked unfortunately, but it was good to be out in the fresh air.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Nice one Andy, good report. Confidence booster with the Senko as well. Any reason for the slider jighead? I was also going to fish it on a jighead, wacky style, but wasnt sure which type to use.

·
Registered
540 Posts
excellent stuff guys, my nephew wants me to take him fishing he`s 8 in April and wants fishing gear for his birthday which is great but he wants to fish for carp!!!!! so think ill have to take him "jig fishing" for carp that will look very suspiciously green/olive back, black bars, red fins and a spikey dorsal!!! lol.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I forgot to ask Andy, did you use your Salty Shot? I have mine sat next to me at work now, haven't taken the bubble wrap off yet though, will be hoping to christen it tonight!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Only just caught up with this report !!! Great stuff !!! You really are doing well on the s/p's Andy !!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No reason on the Slider head, just didn't have a 3.5g plain ball head but the slider head sinks in a "dying" circular motion spiralling down to the bottom. Looks so tasty!!

Struggle to find light heads with decent hook on em. Just in case!!

Salty shot arrived yesterday and some other stuff today, seperate thread in a bit.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The nipper has been whingeing about going fishing now he's a member of the local bass club so I took him to a harbour wall to have a chuck with pollack in mind to warm him up.

Started off with a Shrimp & Minnow Xlayer on a 7g standup head for me and a Storm Craw for him with a 3.5g football head as it was already on his rod.

he soon decided on a change and pulled his rod in and went ff for a run along the pier so I left him to it and I did a little twitchy slow retrieve when I felt a gentle tug then fish on!!

A nice fighty pollack on the Infeet about 1.5 or so. Proudly displayed by the nipper as if it was his!!

View attachment 217

He was rummaging through the van and decided his next lure would be a Senko I asked him how he wanted to fish it and he decided on a wacky rig with a 3.5g slider jighead.

he was soon giving it a good go, told him to try jiggling the rod so off he goes and whallop. FISH ON!! Screaming reel on his little Exage 2500 and soon he has a fish up to the wall. I decided on the drop net as it was tricky pulling the last fish up the wall with thin braid and didn't want my fingers sliced as the fish was still lively. He was chuffed as he's never caught anything requiring a net!! Well it wasn't that big really...

Anyway. Here it is

View attachment 218 View attachment 219

So there you go. Senkos do work!!

We had a few more casts and saw several pollack including some large ones go for the Senko but decide against it last moment. Not sure why. Guess we need to experiment a bit more. I tried one rigged wacky with no jig head and couldn't get the wobble going, worked better with a lead head even if it didn't seem "right" to do so.

Might have to get some more in the larger sizes and see if they work a bit more. Cheap as at £1.40 for 6. Don't mind if I lose a few unlike the 2 Xlayers I lost/got ripped up :(
Nice one mate!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts